Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano Afline Servicing

Options
  • 25-06-2012 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

I'm still waiting to hear back in case there is a local option, but can anyone recommend a shop that specializes in servicing Shimano Alfine hubs? It appears it isn't unheard of to ship the entire rear wheel and hub.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AFAIK the 8sp and 11sp Alfines require different servicing, as the 8sp uses grease whereas the 11sp uses oil. The oil is astonishingly expensive.

Cyclesuperstore in Dublin send them away (11sp ones at least).

Holyboy (boardsie) who runs Bee Cycles in Dublin has been talking about buying the 11sp servicing kit but not sure if he's done it yet.

I have an 11sp due a service so I'd be interested in what you find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Oh sorry I should qualify this is an 8 speed. Just doing some searching in this forum I saw Cycleways was mentioned regarding a Nexus. Also more locally MBW in Moycullen was mentioned by a friend who has a Nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Just got her back from MBW in Moycullen. Really competent guy there who seemed completely at ease with IGHs. Even took a hub from the parts bin and explained everything.

Basically my issue was the counternut was loose which allowed the cone to come away from the bearings on the rotor side of the hub. This in turn caused the wiggle on the axel.

Total damage: €15

Advertisement