Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA 'etiquette'

Options
  • 25-06-2012 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I've noticed more and more negative posts from people whose only purpose here seems to be knocking others who are genuinely trying to pass on bargains. The use of ill-informed, vague or subjective feedback is ruining what has been a very useful forum. Comments such as :-

"You can get that on Ebay much cheaper"
    "I wouldn't touch Panasonic/Bush/IOmega/Whoever"
    "My phone can do that for free"
    "The NIngJang X300 is much better and is Eu3 cheaper"
    " I wouldn't buy from that seller"
    "That's a piece of c**p"

I thnk some basic rules and etiquette should apply to feedback and I'd suggest the following :-

Any pricing comparisons should be for the same model shipped from the same area. Prices for items outside Europe should always include the import duties and should clearly state the warranty restrictions. Realistic currency calculations should be used.

Subjective comments about previous experience from specific Manufacturers is unhelpful.

Just because something is cheaper does not make it better. Let's assume that posters here are generally tech-savvy, and not belittle those who feel that dedicated solutions are often better then all-in-1 solutions. For example, if someone finds a top-of-the-range Marantz CD Player at 30% off, lets avoid the 'sure my €10 MP3 player can do that'. Believe me, it can't. Let people make up their own minds on the value of the offer to them.

Don't make technical or price comparisons with completely different makes/models.

Don't knock sellers/items based on hearsay or isolated feedback.

So what's good feedback?

1) The same item shipped form the same area with the same warranty at a cheaper price.

2) Real first-hand user experience of the device in question.

3) Useful suggestions re: similar items the poster may wish to look at.

4) Other objective and positive information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,784 ✭✭✭✭Basq

While we appreciate the observations (and it's something I think most of us can agree with), it's not really the place for this.

Can summarise with simply: "Constructive Criticism On Product and / or Pricing = GOOD! Lame Jibes / Unfounded Speculation On Product Or Pricing = BAD!"

Myself and the other BA mods might think about making up some general rules on etiquette, but it's not exactly easy to moderate / discipline on.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this though.. definitely some valid points in there!

Closed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement