Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surname Translation

Options
  • 25-06-2012 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there... I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I would like to get an Irish translation of the name Annette to be used as a (female) surname... I have seen the first name translated as Eithneín but I'm not sure if this is suitable as a surname or how to pronounce it!

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Do you mean surname?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 surname_help

Yes surname please. I can find translations for the first name Annette but not the surname, I'm not sure if it would require any prefixes, if it would be completely different or how it would be pronounced.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Why would you force a Gaelicisation of a surname that does not exist in Irish tradition?

I'd approach it this way: if somebody with the family name Annette went to live in a purely Irish-speaking community (no longer available as a real option), what might the locals call him or her? I'd suggest Ainéad, pronounced something like ANN-EY-udh. In effect, impose Irish phonics on the name, but otherwise leave it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 surname_help

I didn't assume that it didn't exist just because I couldn't find a translation for it.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭somairle

Hi there... I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I would like to get an Irish translation of the name Annette to be used as a (female) surname... I have seen the first name translated as Eithneín but I'm not sure if this is suitable as a surname or how to pronounce it!

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Never heard of annette in Irish. Is ette added from french to mean small/ little in the way ín does does in Irish? In which case Áine is Ann perhaps you could try something with that, Áinín!? p. Breathnachs suggestion looks more viable though. If your making it a Gaelic surname I wouldnt recommend putting a prefix such as Mac or Nic before it as a lot of foreign names (in origin) wouldnt.

Im not passing judgement but as someone myself who Gaelicised my non-Gaelic name for a number of years while I was big into learning Irish, I do not recommend it if this is for something official.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I would note that you are not "translating" your name, but merely creating a phonetic rendering of it in Irish. Names don't actually "translate".

Advertisement