Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT question

Options
  • 25-06-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this head scratcher.

My 1980 BMW 525 passed the NCT yesterday, but only realised later that they had marked the date of first registration as Jan 2011, which was when the previous owner had re-registered the car (a UK import) in Ireland, and not August 1980, which was the date of first registration in the UK. I was told by the NCT people that the test dates depends on the date the car was first registered in Ireland.

Naturally, I'm a bit annoyed, because I had held off on booking for a couple of months so that i could get a 15 month NCT, but my NCT is valid for just 7 now.

Bit annoyed about this. Has this always been the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭quattro777

The "Date of first registration" is the date the car was first registered in Ireland. I have a 2006 car with a 2008 reg date on the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Thats correct, its the date first registered in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Yep, it chaged a year or two ago, caught me on the hop too..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I remember them changing it a few years back (2008?), but could find NO legislative document supporting it.

They may have got round to amending the legislation later, but changing the practice, without changing the wording of the regulations was downright shady.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Thanks, so only a recent thing then. They slipped that under the radar alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I suppose one consolation is the fact that if your car passed without any issues then you only have to wait 4 months before going for a 15 month cert.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

That's certainly a glass half full way of looking at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

The reason it was changed was because a lot of lads were moaning that if the original registration date was used they only got a few months on their cert. The test due date was changed to the importation date to give people the opportunity to get a full length on their cert.

Advertisement