Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagued by flies.

Options
  • 25-06-2012 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

This summer is the worst that I can remember for flies. They are all over the house. AsI type there are four of them on the screen.

I am thinking of an ultra violet unit but don't know how effective they are. I don't like the idea of sticky fly paper.

Is there anything that I could burn in the oils that would deter them?

Has anybody else noticed an increase in these pests?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

I had a small Insectozap in my kitchen for a while. It works a little bit but the most horrendous thing I found out was that when the flies landed on the lamp, the little winged vermin literally exploded. Gruesome.

The best thing I found was actually getting rid of the flowery scented candles (I think it attracted the flies) and using a bit more bleach in the the kitchen. Generally, I hate the smell of Domestos but when I upped it a little when wiping down the surfaces in the kitchen and out into the heavy traffic places like the hall walls, kitchen and bathrooms, the fly population dropped a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The best thing I found was actually getting rid of the flowery scented candles.
    Replace them with citrus candles if you can stand the smell (i cant). They're used for keeping insects away when outside.

If you're thinking about getting a pet, get a cat. Its my cats sole mission in life to kill flies and spiders. They literally are hunted down and gone within 5 minutes of getting in a window.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

anniehoo wrote: »

The best thing I found was actually getting rid of the flowery scented candles.
    Replace them with citrus candles if you can stand the smell (i cant). They're used for keeping insects away when outside.

If you're thinking about getting a pet, get a cat. Its my cats sole mission in life to kill flies and spiders. They literally are hunted down and gone within 5 minutes of getting in a window.:o

Global thermo nuclear war or fly killer its what I use, deeply satisfying to slaughter them, it works and its safe, I should know I keep tropical fish.

Advertisement