Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best places to meet people in London

Options
  • 25-06-2012 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I'm going to be heading to London for for a few months for work (leaving this Tuesday) and I know nobody there! Im a 23 year old guy and I've lived in Dublin for a few years now. I do drink but I'm sick of the whole trying to meet people in pubs/clubs scene which is rampant in Dublin. What are my best options? :o

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Structured meeting people in pubs :D

I jest, sort of. There's a beers happening this saturday if you want to meet some folks from this board, but failing that there are lots of events organised by various groups specifically geared around meeting new people. There are also tons of book clubs, film clubs ect where you can meet folks with similar interests.

The first thing you'll need to do before you dive into meeting new people is figure out where you're going to live, as finding events nearby will make it easier. (Transport here is very good, but you're more likely to go along to events if you don't have to spend the best part of an hour getting there or back on a weeknight...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Maybe I was lucky but I met and made a lot of good friends through my first job, London is full of migrants from all over the UK and the world, so many are in the same boat as it were, depends on what you do and where you work though. Also, it doesn't take a huge effort to become a local in many of the pubs here, Irish or not, many have their own golf, poker, darts, pool leagues etc if you're into that sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

www.meetup.com - lots of groups you could join.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

Join a GAA club. Even if your shight, the craic / banter / comerardie is well worth it. I've never played GAA (always played soccer back home) and just started going to the training sessions this year as a few friends I know play, and figured it was a good way of staying fit. Really enjoy it.

Advertisement