Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercing a 5yr old in Limerick

Options
  • 24-06-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone I am here looking for some advice.
    I had a chat with my daughter before Christmas about getting her ears pierced. I told her whenever or if ever she wanted to get them pierced let me know and we will do it. This morning she decided now was the time.
    As she is not quite 5 yet I was nervous about it hurting her so I youtubed kids getting pierced and she watched them.
    Now she decided she wants it done first thing tomorrow!!!!! Her Mom blames me as she loves my piercings and tattoos!
    I don't want her to get pierced with a gun like in Claire's or one of those. I would prefer needles.
    Will a tattoo shop in Limerick pierce her for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭LimerickSports

ya a tattoo place should be able to pierce her not a bother

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

Can I ask why do you not want it done with a gun in Claires?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

IMightKnow wrote: »
    Can I ask why do you not want it done with a gun in Claires?

Getting pierced by a professional piercer > person in an accessory shop with a gun

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DollyB

Any tattoo shop should pierce her as long as signed by guardian. But they normally suggest a gun for infants and young children.

The down side a gun shatters the cartilage it takes longer to heel with a gun because the earring is blunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

DollyB wrote: »
    The down side a gun shatters the cartilage it takes longer to heel with a gun because the earring is blunt.

No cartilage to shatter in the case of a standard lobe piercing, and a gun should never be used on cartilage.

Good call on the gun OP. I think it's up to the piercer whether they do lobe piercings for kids, but I'd imagine some would be uncomfortable with it. Your best bet is probably to call in and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

DollyB wrote: »
    Any tattoo shop should pierce her as long as signed by guardian. But they normally suggest a gun for infants and young children.

Cartilage or no cartilage, a gun pierces by using force to push a blunt stud through tissue, using a piece of equipment that cannot be properly sterilized, and so can carry infections from one victim to the next.

OP I suggest calling up the most reputable piercing studio that you know of, and asking them about it, explaining that you don't want your kid to have to get pierced using a gun.

Maybe even talk to your child, explain why the gun is bad, if they know they're going to be getting a needle, they may not be so keen any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I have a few reasons for not wanting her pierced with a gun.
    1. Hygiene. A gun is used and reused. Guns cannot be cleaned thoroughly.
    2. I am hoping to get cute little hoops as opposed to studs. It is much easier to clean ears with hopps as opposed to studs.
    3. Pain. I would rather have a needle pierce her as it is less painfull than a blunt stud.

Cartilage or no cartilage, a gun pierces by using force to push a blunt stud through tissue, using a piece of equipment that cannot be properly sterilized, and so can carry infections from one victim to the next.

OP I suggest calling up the most reputable piercing studio that you know of, and asking them about it, explaining that you don't want your kid to have to get pierced using a gun.

Maybe even talk to your child, explain why the gun is bad, if they know they're going to be getting a needle, they may not be so keen any more.

I youtubed kids getting needle piercings and showed her. Plus she has seen me get tattoos and needles before. She regularly gets needles at the Doc for bloods and stuff.
    She has no fear whatsoever!!!

One thing you did point out though that cannot be expressed enough, talking to kids and educating them, not just with tats and piercings but in every walk of life!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

i have plenty of piercings done by gun and needle ....and with allhonesty wen coming to lobe piercing its 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other ...id ask the child as the sight of a needle might be scary if shes 5 and the gun is non threatening just an opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Threatening or not, the guns could do serious damage if the kid picks up some blood borne pathogen.
    Seriously, piercing 'guns' should be banned outright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I can remember getting my ears pierced with a gun when I was 6, the pain was awful, I cried and it took them a while to convince me to let them do the other one! And of course cleaning it with that crappy solution they give you was not good and it got infected, no fun for a child.

You're a good dad! Too bad all parents don't know as well, saw a tiny baby with studs yesterday. Broke my heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

I could not find a piercer who'd pierce my 7 year old last year. When I stated her friends had em I was advised their parents ha likely went to a jeweler to do it with a gun. The general consensus was that no professional piercing/tat shop will pierce a child,guardian disclaimer or not. Good luck with it OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Angel8ie

I could not find a piercer who'd pierce my 7 year old last year. When I stated her friends had em I was advised their parents ha likely went to a jeweler to do it with a gun. The general consensus was that no professional piercing/tat shop will pierce a child,guardian disclaimer or not. Good luck with it OP.

i agree here. no one that is a professional piercer will pierce a child so young and if someone agrees to it then i would be worrying about the place. Also piercing with a needle is far safer and more hygenic than the gun. Do you even have to have any 'proper' training to be allowed use those piercing guns?

Just an update.
    Went into All Star Ink but they only tattoo. No piercings.
    Called down to Bullmans' and got it done there. Stuart was the name of the guy there. Sound out and was laughing saying this was the youngest person he pierced.
    He was more than happy to do it and although it hurt her a bit, Penny was so proud of herself.
    She has had her hair tied up non stop to show them off all week!!!

One more reason for needles as opposed to guns too is the earrings themselves. Supposedly the butterfly earrings are tighter to the ear and increased the chance of infection!

Angel8ie wrote: »
    i agree here. no one that is a professional piercer will pierce a child so young and if someone agrees to it then i would be worrying about the place. Also piercing with a needle is far safer and more hygenic than the gun. Do you even have to have any 'proper' training to be allowed use those piercing guns?

Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Stewie in there is sound. My near 3yr old wants her ears pierced like mine (10mm tunnels), think she may have to wait a while. I bought her magnetic studs last week which she loved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

killwill wrote: »
    Just an update.
    Went into All Star Ink but they only tattoo. No piercings.
    Called down to Bullmans' and got it done there. Stuart was the name of the guy there. Sound out and was laughing saying this was the youngest person he pierced.
    He was more than happy to do it and although it hurt her a bit, Penny was so proud of herself.
    She has had her hair tied up non stop to show them off all week!!!

One more reason for needles as opposed to guns too is the earrings themselves. Supposedly the butterfly earrings are tighter to the ear and increased the chance of infection!

He done my eyebrow and helix for me. Sound lad, the 3 other piercers ive been to were much rougher than him.

Advertisement