Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows update fragged grub

Options
  • 24-06-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, looking for a bit of help here.
    I have (had) a dual boot windows vista and linux mint 12 but after updating the windows OS I have lost the grub boot loader so only windows will start. does anyone know a way to fix this?, I still have the Mint live CD but cannot see any options in there. Will I have to re-install Mint?

Any advised greatly appreciated.

P.S. sorry if this issue was addressed before but I couldn't find any in the search.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You won't have to reinstall the OS ..... just reinstall Grub to the MBR of the boot HDD.

I suppose you are using Grub2 so I will leave it to others to go into that.

If using Grub/Grub Legacy, then it is simple .... a couple of commands from a LiveCD and it is done.

Hopefully Grub2, if that is what you are using will be as easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Sorry, yes it is grub 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Hello Linux, my old friend
    I've come to type with you again.:):):)

Yes that worked fine but now I have to go through 2 boot loaders (the windows one boots into the grub 2) still no harm as Linux is the default on both.

Thanks for the replies guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Hello Linux, my old friend
    I've come to type with you again.:):):)

Yes that worked fine but now I have to go through 2 boot loaders (the windows one boots into the grub 2) still no harm as Linux is the default on both.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    if you change the ubuntu grubmenu to timeout 0 seconds,
    when you select ubuntu from windows mbr options, it should go straight to ubuntu,

or you can replace the whole lot from inside ubuntu now while your in there easily enough, and over write the windows mbr :D

a good tip also...if you ever want to remove ubuntu, use easybcd FIRST to re-write the windows mbr, (Fix mbr button) then just delete the ubuntu partitions from windows admin>disk management ! and right click the free space to allow windows reclaim/extend the space
    alot of people remove ubuntu and then find then they cant boot into windows at all

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, but I just keep the windows for a few programs wine is not yet able to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, fire the livecd, mount the disk (sys/dev/proc as well) chroot and type update-grub.

more info here: http://fermilinux.fnal.gov/documentation/tips/mount-bind-chroot or here:
    http://duckduckgo.com/?q=fixing%20broken%20grub%20mbr%20after%20windows%20install

Advertisement