Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate the race: Round 08 - European Grand Prix

Options
  • 24-06-2012 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

Im going to go out on a limb and say the lowest rating we'll get is an eight with most giving it 9!

Great race and it showed just how close and competitive the field is right now. Battling all the way through the field with overtaking and controversy what more could we ask for!

Rate the race 57 votes

0%
    14%
    antodecoMyrddinantomorro-seicadaliacLionbackerhoodwinkedMickey HKilkenny14 8 votes
    52%
    endplatemiketvBeekayjv2000tonedefAndrew76lord lucanGhost TrainGrim.frostie500cherryghostvincenzolorenzokeithoh-gilly-09-Shane732RayMDusty87[Deleted User]2011hotwhiskey 30 votes
    22%
    LIGHTNINGdor83smellslikeshoesScumLordmickdwEl_Duderino 09PJTierneyMiNdGaM3Crackleproulxthe culture of deferenceChocolate fiendRascasse 13 votes
    8%
    conzyEvilMonkeybrownacidratedRSilverScreen 5 votes
    1%
    Bullseye1 1 vote
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Has to be a 9 for me. I was expecting a long boring afternoon glad I was wrong.

Great to see Schumacher on the podium.:D

A 9 from me. Great race, so unpredictable. On the edge of my seat for the whole race. A great result (from a Alonso fan).
    It was just like the season in total, no one knows who is going to win. More of the same please.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

A 9 from me, great racing, lots of overtaking and delighted to see Michael on the podium :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

I have not watched a F1 race since that crap they pulled at Indianapolis race in the states, was flipping through the channels today just as the race was about to start and decided to have a look at the start. I watched the whole race and really enjoyed it. Lots of passing through the whole race! What a great race! Really enjoyed it, and to see Shumacher do so well was fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

nungesser wrote: »
    I have not watched a F1 race since that crap they pulled at Indianapolis race in the states, was flipping through the channels today just as the race was about to start and decided to have a look at the start. I watched the whole race and really enjoyed it. Lots of passing through the whole race! What a great race! Really enjoyed it, and to see Shumacher do so well was fantastic

Good enough to make you start watching again? I know a lot of people who stopped watching from about then onwards but they've steadily been coming back to the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

yeah might give it another go, especially if the races are as competitive as todays race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Giving it a 10. First 10 of the year. Completely unpredictable afternoon, the way it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I gave it a ten, it was brilliantly brilliant & couldn't ask for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

10 for me too. My 3 all time favorite drivers all on the podium. Lots of passing, crashes and controversy. Who could ask for more?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I gave it an 8 because I'm mean and nothings perfect. Alonso is excellent this year, he's really showing his one of the most talented rivers in formula 1. He's always competitive even if the cars not.

nungesser wrote: »
    yeah might give it another go, especially if the races are as competitive as todays race
    This year has been fantastic, it's so close it's more like go karting at times.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I give it an 8. Fantastic luck for MS. We need a few races where none of the top 6 in the championship score. Hard luck seb but I didn't really care.

Maldonado is one tough looking psycho. Defo a future champion. LH fcuked up by trying to shut him out. Mal takes no prisoners.

Defo a future champion

He has nowhere near the discipline required to win a championship, he's hot-headed/rash & overly aggressive. His title is a long way off

EnterNow wrote: »
    He has nowhere near the discipline required to win a championship, he's hot-headed/rash & overly aggressive. His title is a long way off

Similar words were used about Senna, MS, FA, SV.

Care to make a bet.
    I told you so .... Future Bragging rights only

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The next James Hunt :pac:

If only he had won a championship :D

Similar words were used about Senna, MS, FA, SV.

Care to make a bet.
    I told you so .... Future Bragging rights only

Maybe so, he has the skill, I just don't think he has the mentality [yet]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

9 from me. Fantastic race,so much going on and Schumi gets a podium.:)

Never liked Alonso,found him a horrible,whiny driver with a chip on his shoulder. Have to say though,he's easily the best driver in F1 at the moment and i tip my hat to him for what he's doing with the Ferrari this year,awesome stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

+1

He isn't very likeable but he is an immense talent.
    I never understood why people didn't like Alonso. I have a friend who just didn't like him but has changed his opinion on him this year because you just can't argue with his results.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

It turned out to be a great race, but that was only because of the safety car, and the 2 renault alternators packing up. Before that Vettel was RUNNING away with it. Unless the others can catch up with whatever package Red Bull have updated that car with, the second half of the season could be 2011 all over again..

Alonso really is showing why he's possibly the greatest driver ever in F1. Like him or hate him (I've swung from not liking to being a bit of a fan) he's always there to take advantage of any situation that gives him a sniff of the champagne. Obviously he lucked in a bit, but that overtake on Grosjean was brilliant. He also has 100 points more then Massa now, and we're not even half way through the season. Going on qualyfying pace, the Ferrari is still a good bit off where it needs to be, but Alonso is constantly dragging it up the grid by the scruff of the neck.

Maldonado is reckless ! He'll never be champion ! He's obviously getting the best out of a car that seems decent on some tracks, but that's about it.

Hamilton was very unlucky. But the McLaren is way off the pace. He's just able to get more out of it then Button.

And for nostalgia, great to see MS up there on the podium, especially after the luck he's had this season.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I never understood why people didn't like Alonso. I have a friend who just didn't like him but has changed his opinion on him this year because you just can't argue with his results.

He can come across as a prima donna at times, but its kinda rare & I havn't seen much of it recently. I like him though, he's an immense talent & without a doubt the best driver on the grid today

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ratedR wrote: »
    Maldonado is reckless ! He'll never be champion ! He's obviously getting the best out of a car that seems decent on some tracks, but that's about it.

I know he isn't a world champion but came close, remember Massa at Sauber? Maldonado reminds me of him at that stage in his career. He'll come to fruition, he just needs a good mentor beside him instead of Bruno.

Gave it a 9 btw. Great display by lots of drivers on Sunday. Feel bad for Petrov, he could have come close to that 10th place. I would have had a tear in my eye if Caterham got a point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

10 from me. After watching the GP2 race on the Saturday, I was hoping for something similar, and it came! Obviously being there has helped, but being amongst the crowd and their reactions to everything (helping Alonso obviously!) was just remarkable!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

10 for me. I watched it expecting to just watch the start before bedtime and ended up riveted to watching it until the end.

Alonso did brilliantly to win it, while Hamilton again had terrible luck with his pit stop and then his retirement. The race really had everything!

I know he isn't a world champion but came close, remember Massa at Sauber? Maldonado reminds me of him at that stage in his career. He'll come to fruition, he just needs a good mentor beside him instead of Bruno.

Not a chance. Maldonado has been reckless for years. He hit a marshall in Monaco 7 years ago and broke the marshalls back. His father paid for hospital and rehabilation for the marshall and that was the only reason that he wasn't banned from racing at Monaco for life.

When he was driving in World Series Renaults he had a massive crash under red flag conditions and hit 2 stationary crashed cars.

And now that he's in Formula 1 he's still making terrible decisions. He's a erratic pay driver. Yes he's fast, but he hasn't got the brain to do much else.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Maybe so, he has the skill, I just don't think he has the mentality [yet]

Agreed.

And now that he's in Formula 1 he's still making terrible decisions. He's a erratic pay driver. Yes he's fast, but he hasn't got the brain to do much else.

Thats a bit harsh. Grosjean has made more fcuk ups this year. What about vergne, senna has caused a few too.

Funny that the unreliability really helped the race, its something that I do miss that from the old days. Their was nothing like seeing a V12 blowing up at full beans!

Absolutely, the possibility of someone going out at any point always used to add something to the racing that's been lacking the last while. The stupidly low RPM limits the last few years has made the engines far too reliable. When the turbos come in I'd like to see one or two aspects with no limits set by the FIA so the teams can either play it safe or take a chance, it's something that's been missing for a while.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Gave it a 9 also, brilliant race and such a surprise for Valencia. Delighted Schumi bagged a podium and again Alonso showing why he's the best driver on the grid. Story for the race for me though was the pace of that Red Bull - 1 second a lap or so faster than Hamilton in the early phase. :eek:

Agreed.

Thats a bit harsh. Grosjean has made more fcuk ups this year. What about vergne, senna has caused a few too.

Harsh ? The man hasnt learned. That's my point. Here a video of what he did a couple of years ago UNDER RED FLAGS !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5nt7IdyPs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

And in true Late Late Toy Show fashion... I docked 1 point for Vettel's procession before the SC, and 1 for the SC itself.

Great race though, reminds me a bit of China where there were 5-10 cars sharing the same piece of track, all for position.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Harsh ? The man hasnt learned. That's my point. Here a video of what he did a couple of years ago UNDER RED FLAGS !

over a blind hill under yellows, the red only start after the accident, the flag in the far upper left is yellow. Still a bit mental though.

• Advertisement

As above, yellow where he was. Also the car ahead of him seemed quicker but was on the racing line, Maldonado was off the racing line before a blind crest. Look at Alonso in Brazil back in the day ffs.

Advertisement