Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advise on what Marine tank to buy

Options
  • 24-06-2012 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all.

I have had a freshwater tank for a little over a year now and I am looking to set up a new Marine tank. I would love to get two Clown Fish (who would hopefully breed) and a few other sea creatures for the tank.

I am looking for a tank that is over 350 litres so the little guys can have a good home and I won't need to do another upgrade then for a good while. Also looking for a quiet external filter and a nice cabinet to go with it.

I popped into Seahorse Aquariums and the best price for a marine tank and stand like this that they can offer is €1,250. This is a bit pricey for me as the cost of the live rock and everything else would be another €400-500

I was wondering if anyone knew of any cheaper place where I could get a tank or if anyone is looking to get rid of a marine aquarium?

Thinking my budget is around the €700 - €1,000 mark.

Any thoughts? I hear there may be cheaper tanks up north...

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Second hand is your only option here with your budget I think...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The initial cost is one thing. The up keep of the tank is another thing. The costs of a marine are totally different than a fresh water tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

<mod snip> no sales on Boards

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GraveRobber

Thanks for the advise guys. How much do you think the maintenance costs each week for the tank? Would probably buy the thing that makes up the water and you just add the salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I have a 3 x 1 x 1 foot clear seal tank with no hood if you want it ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi all.

I have had a freshwater tank for a little over a year now and I am looking to set up a new Marine tank. I would love to get two Clown Fish (who would hopefully breed) and a few other sea creatures for the tank.

I am looking for a tank that is over 350 litres so the little guys can have a good home and I won't need to do another upgrade then for a good while. Also looking for a quiet external filter and a nice cabinet to go with it.

I popped into Seahorse Aquariums and the best price for a marine tank and stand like this that they can offer is €1,250. This is a bit pricey for me as the cost of the live rock and everything else would be another €400-500

I was wondering if anyone knew of any cheaper place where I could get a tank or if anyone is looking to get rid of a marine aquarium?

Thinking my budget is around the €700 - €1,000 mark.

Any thoughts? I hear there may be cheaper tanks up north...

Thanks all!

Seahorse built this 300 litre tank and 120 litre sump and custom cabinet (double doors each side) for well under 800 euro all in.

I went to Seahorse with my measurements and they built it all to those exact measurements

Delievered it to my house too.

Speak to Keelan and Jimmy in Seahorse.:)

PS-As others have said,the initial cost is only the beginning.

You will eat up electricity and also spend a fortune on marine water changes too,which must be done very regulary too.

So bare the extra weekly and monthy costs in mind too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Have you not got that setup yet Paddy?

Have you not got that setup yet Paddy?

Not a hope yet,still doing decorating and renovating work.:(:D

My daughter is now also asking (begging) for a tank fulll of "guppies".

Thanks for the advise guys. How much do you think the maintenance costs each week for the tank? Would probably buy the thing that makes up the water and you just add the salt.

An RO (Reverse Osmosis) 5 stage pumped water kit is 220 euro and then its another 70 euro for a large bucket of "red sea" salt.

DSCF9859.jpg
    DSCF9860.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

how noisy is the pump on your RO kit Paddy?

I have the permeate hydraulic pump on mine and you don't really had it, but I was looking at increasing the output a bit too try and supply the whole house with RO water.

I was half thinking about getting a 2nd RO membrane and plumbing it in parallel with the 1st one or just changing to a higher capacity membrane, but a pump might help as much.

BTW, stuck in temple street again with the baby since Wednesday. :(

Docs don't even seem sure what's wrong this time, he just keeps stopping breathing every time he falls asleep. They have him in a loss of drugs which are helping keep his airway clear for now, but it's pretty worrying all the same.

Sorry went massively off topic there.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    how noisy is the pump on your RO kit Paddy?

I have the permeate hydraulic pump on mine and you don't really had it, but I was looking at increasing the output a bit too try and supply the whole house with RO water.

I was half thinking about getting a 2nd RO membrane and plumbing it in parallel with the 1st one or just changing to a higher capacity membrane, but a pump might help as much.

BTW, stuck in temple street again with the baby since Wednesday. :(

Docs don't even seem sure what's wrong this time, he just keeps stopping breathing every time he falls asleep. They have him in a loss of drugs which are helping keep his airway clear for now, but it's pretty worrying all the same.

Sorry went massively off topic there.

Its quiet enough,jjst a very light humming nouise from it,but nothing major.

I hope that your baby will be ok and its not a long term serious issue.

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family from us.:)

Advertisement