Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Irish - English History books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Fairfunk wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good book focusing on the relationship, issues and history between England and Ireland from the beginning to modern day?

Many thanks.

Can you be any more specific? That's a very broad request you have there :)

With the way that Irish history-writing has developed recently, a lot of books ostensibly on Ireland now incorporate the 'English' dimension to Irish affairs. A good recent example would Thomas Bartlett's 'Ireland: A History' published by Cambridge. Or there is Roy Foster's 'Modern Ireland', which only goes from 1600. I'm a historian who works on English-Irish relations in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries so I could recommend you some interesting things from that period, but I'm a bit shakier on earlier and later periods :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I echo the Foster recommendation. A bit 'revisionist' but in an Irish context that isn't a bad thing (As you can imagine, those of a green or orange hue will insist on getting offended by any kind of re-evaluation of so called 'established truths')

Look out for a guy called Joe Lee - one of the most highly regarded and controversial Irish historians of his age. He has wrote a few books that may prove illuminating to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fairfunk

Hi,

Sorry I just re-read my post and agree that its probably a poorly worded question as questions go.

I think what I am looking for is the literature version of the BBC Documentary : The Story of Ireland, or something along those lines. Seems like quite a good level and pace for a general overview of Irish - English history.

Thanks for the suggestions so far though, I'll have a Google and see what I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Fairfunk wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry I just re-read my post and agree that its probably a poorly worded question as questions go.

I think what I am looking for is the literature version of the BBC Documentary : The Story of Ireland, or something along those lines. Seems like quite a good level and pace for a general overview of Irish - English history.

Thanks for the suggestions so far though, I'll have a Google and see what I find.

Have you checked out the book that was published to coincide with the series, The Story of Ireland: In Search of a New National Memory by Neil Hegarty and Fergal Keane? :)

Advertisement