Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi Colt.... good 1st car??

Options
  • 24-06-2012 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi im 17 and looking to buy first car. Thinking of buying a colt around 96-01ish, seem reasonably priced and look decent imo, just wondering are they reliable??... and a good first buy??? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It'll be loaded insurance wise but other than that I think they're a sound enough for car.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭johnner09

farmerkid wrote: »
    Hi im 17 and looking to buy first car. Thinking of buying a colt around 96-01ish, seem reasonably priced and look decent imo, just wondering are they reliable??... and a good first buy??? :)
    i had a 97 lancer 1.4 (basicly the same as a colt) for my first car, had it for three years without any problems. Even passed my driving test in it:D great little cars to start off but as OP posted just watch with your insurance unless of course thats not a financial obstacle as such:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Have one, first car, only thing that went wrong was new exhaust pipe needed, but so long as the car has been looked after it would be OK. Engine wise not a problem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No matter what car you buy, just be sure to get insurance quotes on whatever it is. A colt may not be the cheapest thing in the world to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 farmerkid

CianRyan wrote: »
    It'll be loaded insurance wise but other than that I think they're a sound enough for car.

Ok well I tried a few quotes online for a 1.3l colt and best I got was €2200 from britton not overly expensive but not cheap either...

Any insurers that could do a better deal do you think??

A starlet, corsa, polo, fiesta, etc would hardly be much cheaper on insurance would they?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ok well I tried a few quotes online for a 1.3l colt and best I got was €2200 from britton not overly expensive but not cheap either...

A starlet, corsa, polo, fiesta, etc would hardly be much cheaper on insurance would they?

There's only one way you'll find out...ring around;)

I emphasise the ring part of the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Problem is its a Japanese make of car so insurance assumes its done up with a different engine if you tried ringing up for something like a punto you'll see huge difference in quote
    But on other hand my first was a lancer same engine in colt an it was best car to maintain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Try AA insurance (underwritten by Zurich), they were cheaper for me than even Britton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Fiona

I had a 96 D colt as my first car it was a great little thing never let me down!

Problem is its a Japanese make of car so insurance assumes its done up with a different engine if you tried ringing up for something like a punto you'll see huge difference in quote
    But on other hand my first was a lancer same engine in colt an it was best car to maintain

yea fare point, pity the puntos are not abit more reliable and better lookin though ha

• Advertisement

Yeah unfortunately puntos look ****
    well you could put a nice body kit and big loud exhaust or two twin exhausts and a huge spoiler on it with loads of stickers on it and a black bonnet and loads of clocks that mean nothin in it
    It'd look so cool :D

Ah man I crack myself up ha ha

There's only one way you'll find out...ring around;)

I emphasise the ring part of the sentence.

will do :)

Yeah unfortunately puntos look ****
    well you could put a nice body kit and big loud exhaust or two twin exhausts and a huge spoiler on it with loads of stickers on it and a black bonnet and loads of clocks that mean nothin in it
    It'd look so cool :D

Ah man I crack myself up ha ha

haha that would look some state now.... like something out of need for speed :p

Well at least need for speed cars had some power despite how ridiculous they looked
    In sayin that I know a lad that has a punto turbo running over 207 bhp
    Very quick And f all weight in it

Advertisement