Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor abolishing roaming charges, a tip

Options
  • 23-06-2012 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Now that Meteor have abolished roaming charges I got the family in Ireland to send me over a free Meteor pay as you go sim card. Now they can ring me and only be charged as if I was in Ireland. Im In London but should work for the whole world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

alfreg wrote: »
    Im In London but should work for the whole world.

They've only abolished roaming charges in Europe.

http://meteor.ie/do_more/roaming/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Beware of the roaming data charges though. I was considering moving to meteor from Vodafone, but the roaming data charges put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

Apart from sending a text with the word 'Europe' to 50104 to enable this, is there anything else to do? Some networks disable or limit data roaming by default and you have to go into your on-line account to remove the restriction.

Does anything like that apply to Meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Is this Meteor only or eMobile as well (basically the same thing after all)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Felim_Doyle

The local and roaming tariffs and overseas roaming agreements for a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) are separate and often different from those of the host network. What Meteor does to its roaming charges will not automatically be reflected by eMobile so you would have to contact their Customer Services or check their website for details of roaming costs. The same would apply to other MVNOs such as Tesco Mobile which is run by Liffey Telecom and hosted on the O2 network.

Confusingly when Orange and T-Mobile merged their operations in the UK the roaming arrangements, both with international operators and national MVNOs, were initially still distinct. Meteor customers visiting the UK found that they could no longer get a T-Mobile connection in some areas and were forced to use Orange which was not the Meteor preferred partner for roaming. In Northern Ireland the situation was worse with T-Mobile shutting down their network completely leaving both home and roaming customers to use the, perhaps politically incorrectly named, Orange network.

Meanwhile UK customers with the Virgin Mobile MVNO found they could only operate where a T-Mobile mast had not been replaced by a nearby Orange one. So much for Everything Everywhere. I'm told but have yet to verify that all of these issues are now resolved but it took a couple of years as far as I know and showed a major lack of foresight and consideration of the effects of the merger and removal of duplicate cell sites.

Some customers are still reporting coverage issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 onweb

I've compared the effective cost of data roaming in the EU on the different Irish mobile networks, when you use their "add-ons" (e.g. €19.99 for 50MB on Meteor).

Meteor don't come out of it well!

More details at http://on-web.blogspot.com/2013/03/eu-data-roaming-costs-for-irish-bill.html

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

onweb, how about comparing call costs for roaming in the EU on the different Irish mobile networks? Meteor should be top of the pile then.

If I want data while I'm abroad, I'll use wi-fi. That will give me whatsapp, Viber, cabbage and general data. That's good enough for me.

Once the call costs are good, I can cope with free via wifi with the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭kirving

alfreg wrote: »
    Now they can ring me and only be charged as if I was in Ireland.

If they were ringing an Irish number, they'll only be charged standard prices, no matter where in the world that Irish SIM is.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

If they were ringing an Irish number, they'll only be charged standard prices, no matter where in the world that Irish SIM is.
    With a Meteor phone while in Europe, the recipient is not charged for receiving calls. That, afaik, beats the socks off the rest of the Irish operators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

was in the uk at the weekend went to roam on the t mobile network with meteor no signal anywere locked on 02 uk to make calls back to ireland coming back at the airport locked on to orange nearly most parts of the uk have no mobile signal every were was no signal i thought uk have a better system if in uk most people are on vodafone uk any other network forget about it bought a sim pack voda uk for 1 pound witch is valid for two years next time i am over in the uk i l use it .a vodafone sim pack here in ireland is 10 euro wat a difference

• Advertisement
Advertisement