Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some light reading recommendations...

Options
  • 23-06-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

I need a crash course in the following:

Financial services law

Employment issues in the banking sector

Competition Law

and I need it yesterday!

Anyone have any good recommendations for the following, I pretty much need to learn this stuff exceptionally fast, even just become familiar with it. Any good books?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Sweet Jesus - those 3 areas are huge :eek: , not sure if any of the texts around could qualify as easy reading. The Institute of Bankers ( affiliated to UCD ) produce manuals that would allow for quick learning and they would cover at least some of what you are looking for. Perhaps contact them on Monday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Delancey wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus - those 3 areas are huge :eek: , not sure if any of the texts around could qualify as easy reading. The Institute of Bankers ( affiliated to UCD ) produce manuals that would allow for quick learning and they would cover at least some of what you are looking for. Perhaps contact them on Monday ?

Ha I know tell me about it! Last minute interview has me in this trouble :cool:

Thanks for the suggestion, probably wont have the time to source those manuals!

Interview is likely monday or tuesday so you see where my problems lie! I have access to all legal databases and Griffith/Kings Inns library if anyone knows of any books/articles etc?

Ill be looking myself but a head start would help, should be ok for competition law though.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Do you have a legal background in any of these areas?

Competition law -- Competition Authority ( www.tca.ie ) will have a lot of material. Just make sure you can recite the "Abuse of Dominance" and the "Groups of Undertakings" articles in both the Treaty and the transpositions in the Competition Act 2002.

Employment in Financial Sector -- That's just employment law generally. You need to be aware of the new "Fitness and Probity" that is coming in this year and how that will affect people's employment.

Financial Services Law -- This is largely based on European Directives. Find the directive that applies to the area you need. (Financial Services is a HUGE area.)

Farcear wrote: »
    Do you have a legal background in any of these areas?

Competition law -- Competition Authority ( www.tca.ie ) will have a lot of material. Just make sure you can recite the "Abuse of Dominance" and the "Groups of Undertakings" articles in both the Treaty and the transpositions in the Competition Act 2002.

Employment in Financial Sector -- That's just employment law generally. You need to be aware of the new "Fitness and Probity" that is coming in this year and how that will affect people's employment.

Financial Services Law -- This is largely based on European Directives. Find the directive that applies to the area you need. (Financial Services is a HUGE area.)

Yeah I studied EU law a few years ago and vaguely remember competition law, Art's 81 & 82 (changed with Lisbon I assume) Is it the same thing I'm thinking of?. Ill check out that site and throw my head into an EU book.

Unfortunately never done employment law but I will get a brief from someone and check out your suggestion.

Financial services law is what I am looking to study this year coming so I am currently clueless! I dont even know where to begin with this one! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Competition -- Article 101 and 102, TFEU now, i think...

Employment -- There is a Nutshells book on Employment law. Short, concise and relatively cheap.

FS -- http://www.centralbank.ie/regulation/Pages/home.aspx -- Just find the area that you are applying for and look up the relavant law, i.e are you looking at banking, funds, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

A lot of issues in terms of data protection of employees, processing of data by employees of third parties with financial service providers (interestingly financial information is not classified as sensitive).

Pretty unhelpful post but I thought I'd flag it to you.

Farcear wrote: »
    Competition -- Article 101 and 102, TFEU now, i think...

Employment -- There is a Nutshells book on Employment law. Short, concise and relatively cheap.

FS -- http://www.centralbank.ie/regulation/Pages/home.aspx -- Just find the area that you are applying for and look up the relavant law, i.e are you looking at banking, funds, etc.

Very helpful, thank you.
    jblack wrote: »
    A lot of issues in terms of data protection of employees, processing of data by employees of third parties with financial service providers (interestingly financial information is not classified as sensitive).

Pretty unhelpful post but I thought I'd flag it to you.

More helpful than you think actually!

Advertisement