Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst refereeing you have ever seen?

Options
  • 23-06-2012 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭

I was browsing youtube last night and came acorss the fight between the (then) unbeaten Holly Holm and Anne-Sophie Mathis

I have to say I was shocked by the brutality and the refereeing. Watch from 1:40 on. Holm was effectively knocked out in the 6th and the referee rules it as a slip. She then is so disoriented that in the next round she fell through the ropes and got tangled up and took punches to the head. The ref proceeded to untangle her and watches her take a bunch of haymakers and only seems to acknowledges she is hurt when she collapses at the end.

So, can you remember a worse refereeing dsiply than this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

chelsea vs barca semi final 09

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

menoscemo wrote: »
    I was browsing youtube last night and came acorss the fight between the (then) unbeaten Holly Holm and Anne-Sophie Mathis

I have to say I was shocked by the brutality and the refereeing. Watch from 1:40 on. Holm was effectively knocked out in the 6th and the referee rules it as a slip. She then is so disoriented that in the next round she fell through the ropes and got tangled up and took punches to the head. The ref proceeded to untangle her and watches her take a bunch of haymakers and only seems to acknowledges she is hurt when she collapses at the end.

So, can you remember a worse refereeing dsiply than this?

Absolutely shocking. Should have been stopped at 2.10. Bad refereeing in most sports simply results in an unfair advantage to one side, but in boxing it can lead to extensive irreperable brain damage. Referee should have had his licence revoked. How could he let that happen? Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Absolutely shocking. Should have been stopped at 2.10. Bad refereeing in most sports simply results in an unfair advantage to one side, but in boxing it can lead to extensive irreperable brain damage. Referee should have had his licence revoked. How could he let that happen? Disgusting.

thats poor refereeing alright. But someone needs to be asking questions of the corner as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah, and I think he was trying to give her a slow count at the end until the cormen came in :rolleyes:
    BUt yeah Slapbang is right the corner should never have let her go out for the 7th. At the very least they should have thrown in the towel when she got 'tangled' in the ropes.

Thankfully there was no obvious damage and Holm came back from this fight and won the rematch against Mathis last week. You'd never know what kind of longterm damage that refereeing might do though.

menoscemo wrote: »

Yeah, and I think he was trying to give her a slow count at the end until the cormen came in :rolleyes:
    BUt yeah Slapbang is right the corner should never have let her go out for the 7th. At the very least they should have thrown in the towel when she got 'tangled' in the ropes.

Thankfully there was no obvious damage and Holm came back from this fight and won the rematch against Mathis last week. You'd never know what kind of longterm damage that refereeing might do though.

The unfortunate thing is that any damage inflicted may not manifest for years, on average 16 years later: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/boxing.shtml

Advertisement