Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Irish Reserves

  • 23-06-2012 11:30am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 3


    I am an 18 year old female living in Cork county and I'm interested in joining the Reserves, before I join I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer for me;
    1. When is the two week training course?
    2. Do I have to know Irish to be able to join?
    3. What is the pay like?
    4. I have mild asthma and I wear glasses, would this be a problem?
    5. I'm not unhealthy but I'm not exactly fit, would this make it very difficult for me?
    6. Would I be at a disadvantage because i'm a girl?
    It would be great if someone could answer a couple of these questions :)


Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish


    Axeto42 wrote: »
    I am an 18 year old female living in Cork county and I'm interested in joining the Reserves, before I join I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer for me;
    1. When is the two week training course?
    2. Do I have to know Irish to be able to join?
    3. What is the pay like?
    4. I have mild asthma and I wear glasses, would this be a problem?
    5. I'm not unhealthy but I'm not exactly fit, would this make it very difficult for me?
    6. Would I be at a disadvantage because i'm a girl?
    It would be great if someone could answer a couple of these questions :)

    1. It's on when it's on.
    2. No, you'll be instructed on the irish you'll need to know.
    3. Like real pay, only not as frequent.
    4. Your definition of mild may differ to that of the Medical officer. The medical will also decide whether your eyesight is adequate for entry.
    5. No, but you will need to maintain a minimum standard of fitness, and you will be expected to run while carrying a heavy rifle and personal equipment, such as ammunition, food, raingear, etc.
    6. Its only a disadvantage to you if you decide it is. If you expect to be treated differently because you are a girl, you will be. These type of people are always useful to do jobs in camp such as washing toilets, cleaning kitchens, etc. It is up to you alone. Otherwise, there is only one type of person in the DF, it is neither male nor female, it is a soldier. Do you want to be a girl, or a soldier?

    visit www.military.ie


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5


    Axeto42 wrote: »
    I am an 18 year old female living in Cork county and I'm interested in joining the Reserves, before I join I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer for me;
    1. When is the two week training course?
    2. Do I have to know Irish to be able to join?
    3. What is the pay like?
    4. I have mild asthma and I wear glasses, would this be a problem?
    5. I'm not unhealthy but I'm not exactly fit, would this make it very difficult for me?
    6. Would I be at a disadvantage because i'm a girl?
    It would be great if someone could answer a couple of these questions :)

    1. The timing of your recruit training depends on your unit, availability, numbers, etc. You won't know until you join. It's generally at Easter or in the Summer. Joining the RDF takes a long time, usually four months to a year before you can begin training, so you won't be seeing a camp until next year if you're applying now.
    2. No.
    3. You only get paid for full time training and a gratuity at the end of each year to pay for expenses. Here are the Rates of Pay.
    4. The glasses won't be a problem as long as you're not blind or colour-blind. The asthma might be a deal-breaker. The doc will let you know during the entry medical.
    5. Yes. There are plenty of places to hide in all units, but if you're not willing to put in a bit of effort to get fit, then you'll be wasting your and your unit's time. You don't need to be a commando, but a little fitness work goes a long way.
    6. No.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭not_a_robot


    1. Two weeks recruit training courses usually take place in June/July depending upon the Company/Battalion you join.
    2. You don't need to know Irish, the only thing that is in Irish are drill orders and they're not that difficult to follow once you get used to the sound of them.
    3. Pay is in line with the PDF pay scale but you only get paid for your training camps or some duty camps/weekends throughout the year. If you meet the minimum amount of required hours at the end of the training year you'll also get gratuity pay in December.
    4. Glasses aren't a problem, Asthma might be depending on the opinion of the medical officer.
    5. A good level of physical fitness is a distinct advantage but don't let it put you off if you're not fit atm. You've good opportunities in the RDF to develop your fitness if you're willing to, as you have access to Physical Training Instructors and could get involved in DF Orienteering.
    6. I'm a girl in an Infantry Battalion and the year I joined more girls signed up than boys. It's in no way a disadvantage if you're willing to do your fair share, pull your own weight and can take a good slagging (and give as good as you get :P), you'll honestly meet some of the best people going. I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Hope this helps :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Axeto42


    1. It's on when it's on.
    2. No, you'll be instructed on the irish you'll need to know.
    3. Like real pay, only not as frequent.
    4. Your definition of mild may differ to that of the Medical officer. The medical will also decide whether your eyesight is adequate for entry.
    5. No, but you will need to maintain a minimum standard of fitness, and you will be expected to run while carrying a heavy rifle and personal equipment, such as ammunition, food, raingear, etc.
    6. Its only a disadvantage to you if you decide it is. If you expect to be treated differently because you are a girl, you will be. These type of people are always useful to do jobs in camp such as washing toilets, cleaning kitchens, etc. It is up to you alone. Otherwise, there is only one type of person in the DF, it is neither male nor female, it is a soldier. Do you want to be a girl, or a soldier?

    visit www.military.ie
    I would never be expected to be treated differently because i'm female, I was only asking because I know that I would be physically weaker than a male soldier that is the same age as me and I wanted to know if that would be a problem during training.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish


    Axeto42 wrote: »
    I would never be expected to be treated differently because i'm female, I was only asking because I know that I would be physically weaker than a male soldier that is the same age as me and I wanted to know if that would be a problem during training.

    Ye see, you have decided that as a woman, you are physically weaker than a man. What makes you so sure? If you have already decided, then you will be.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Axeto42


    Ye see, you have decided that as a woman, you are physically weaker than a man. What makes you so sure? If you have already decided, then you will be.
    I haven't decided that i'm weaker, I'm 5 foot 2 and i'm underweight so I wouldn't be as physically strong as a guy the same age as me or older, one of the reasons I want to join is to become stronger, i'm just stating facts, i'm not saying men are stronger than women


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez


    1. It's on when it's on.
    2. No, you'll be instructed on the irish you'll need to know.
    3. Like real pay, only not as frequent.
    4. Your definition of mild may differ to that of the Medical officer. The medical will also decide whether your eyesight is adequate for entry.
    5. No, but you will need to maintain a minimum standard of fitness, and you will be expected to run while carrying a heavy rifle and personal equipment, such as ammunition, food, raingear, etc.
    6. Its only a disadvantage to you if you decide it is. If you expect to be treated differently because you are a girl, you will be. These type of people are always useful to do jobs in camp such as washing toilets, cleaning kitchens, etc. It is up to you alone. Otherwise, there is only one type of person in the DF, it is neither male nor female, it is a soldier. Do you want to be a girl, or a soldier?

    visit www.military.ie

    I laughed my ass off at this. There is only one type of person in the DF... a sandbag! Soldiers go to war.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir


    Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    I laughed my ass off at this. There is only one type of person in the DF... a sandbag! Soldiers go to war.


    Thats nice, didnt you fail your fitness test for the army and fail to make the grade for the Naval Service? Do you consider your brother to be a sandbag too?

    Did you join the "Brits" or have you left the NS yet?

    Soldiers are still soldiers, deployed to a warzone or not.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez


    benwavner wrote: »
    Thats nice, didnt you fail your fitness test for the army and fail to make the grade for the Naval Service? Do you consider your brother to be a sandbag too?

    Did you join the "Brits" or have you left the NS yet?

    Soldiers are still soldiers, deployed to a warzone or not.

    Yep! Failed the run back in 2006/7 I think it was, when I was just out of school. Ran the 2.4km for the NS in 9:24 making me one of the fastest. Beat 1200 other applicants for a place. Topped the gunnery course.

    Left it because I was sick of watching discovery channel.

    Its great for the lads who are just out of school, and I'm sure if I passed back in 2006 I'd still be in it today. BUT, six years is a long time and if you have any bit of life experience, you'd know better!

    Oh by the way, ask the bro himself and he'll tell you its ****! I'm sure I could go through your previous posts too and nit pick, but unfortunately I have a life to live. ;)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir


    Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    Yep! Failed the run back in 2006/7 I think it was, when I was just out of school. Ran the 2.4km for the NS in 9:24 making me one of the fastest. Beat 1200 other applicants for a place. Topped the gunnery course.

    Left it because I was sick of watching discovery channel.

    Its great for the lads who are just out of school, and I'm sure if I passed back in 2006 I'd still be in it today. BUT, six years is a long time and if you have any bit of life experience, you'd know better!

    Oh by the way, ask the bro himself and he'll tell you its ****! I'm sure I could go through your previous posts too and nit pick, but unfortunately I have a life to live. ;)


    I wasnt nit picking. I just like to know what the posters backround is, especially when they are trying to put a potential serving member off joining.

    So, you failed the army fitness test, you considered joining the "Brits" (nothing wrong with that), you joined the Naval Service........left the Naval Service.....because you were "sick of watching the Discovery Channel". I presume (correct me if Im wrong) you have no operational experience at home or abroad. So you know nothing about "war" anyway.

    You seem to be a typical "Celtic Tiger era Xbox soldier", i.e great at talking the talk but when it comes down to it, you are not actually able for it. Theres no shame in it, perception and reality are two very different things but at least be honest with why you left.

    It might be sh1t for you and your brother, but you and your brother may not be the type of professional soldier that the DF are looking for. I know plenty of useless Corporals....these are the Corporals that think the DF is sh1t. Theres always room for more on the dole queue.

    You say you are fit and topped a gunnery course. Surely, a person of your calibre could have went for selection or a NS divers course?

    To the OP

    1. Contact you Brigade Manpower Office and ask when the RDF are recruiting.
    2. Recruit and annual camps are usually held during the summer months.
    3. Pay is equivalant to PDF pay to your rank. Afaik, you get paid on summer camps. I may stand corrected but you get two weeks PDF pay plus for every day you paraded with your unit through the year, you get extra?
    4. Only the Doc can answer that question
    5. There is a certain amount of physical activity, as long as you are not obese and you are relatively active you should be ok.
    6. You will be at NO disadvantage because of your gender.

    Best of luck, ignore the drop outs.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 62 Reserve Battalion


    On the physical fitness side, the new Recruit Syllabus requires recruits to pass the Army Fitness test (not the induction test) at Grade 4. There is also regular PT as part of the training. While you will have plenty of time to prepare for the test, you will have to make the decision to be fit and train for it. If you are not physically fit and don't train for it, you will fail it.

    Some info below;

    http://www.military.ie/careers/fitness-testing-centre
    http://www.1bderdf.com/fitnesstests.htm


  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza


    Axeto42 wrote: »
    I am an 18 year old female living in Cork county and I'm interested in joining the Reserves, before I join I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer for me;
    1. When is the two week training course?
    2. Do I have to know Irish to be able to join?
    3. What is the pay like?
    4. I have mild asthma and I wear glasses, would this be a problem?
    5. I'm not unhealthy but I'm not exactly fit, would this make it very difficult for me?
    6. Would I be at a disadvantage because i'm a girl?
    It would be great if someone could answer a couple of these questions :)

    1. Operational Information cannot be disclosed to general public for security reasons... (also I don't know)
    2. A little bit, enuf to understand commands
    3. If you want to see pay rates I recommend you go to www.rdfra.ie
    4. Not initially but may be an issue regards PT and the physical aspect of some courses
    5. No
    6. No, there are a high number of females in the reserve, gender is not an issue


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman


    Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    ! Soldiers go to war.

    So a soldier needs to be in a warzone for him to justify his existance?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman


    Also OP.

    Regarding Q5, fitness is now a big thing in the RDF. The day of the overweight reservists are very limited.

    Depending on the unit you join you can expect some exercise. If you join an infantry unit you will be expected to run up hills wearing full kit. You will also have to do a fitness test in order to pass out. Its nothing too testing but you will need to have a moderate level of fitness. See previous posters links for details.


  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza


    BigDuffman wrote: »
    Also OP.

    Regarding Q5, fitness is now a big thing in the RDF. The day of the overweight reservists are very limited.

    Depending on the unit you join you can expect some exercise. If you join an infantry unit you will be expected to run up hills wearing full kit. You will also have to do a fitness test in order to pass out. Its nothing too testing but you will need to have a moderate level of fitness. See previous posters links for details.


    Yes the days of the overweight, lazy reservist are over to be honest, theres a big push on fitness throughout the RDF lately, especially in the Infantry units as everything we do in training as a physical element to it.

    In saying that it shouldn't put people off joining the reserve by no means do you have to be super-fit or anything, some people find it a great incentive to get more active and look for ways to improve their fitness in general.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14 FrankTank


    Hi folks,

    Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd post here. Hope that's ok? I've applied to an RDF unit in the Eastern Brigade and am aware that there's a recruitment moratorium and may not get called at all - I can understand and accept that no problem. I wonder if somebody could PM me in relation to a few questions I had:

    i). Could somebody give me a specific answer in relation to eyesight? My glasses prescription is -2.75 in both eyes (shortsighted). Without them, I could only read the top line or two of an eye chart. Am I goosed there? Would I be disqualified if I got laser surgery (I'm thinking of doing this anyway, with or without acceptance into the RDF).
    ii). Could somebody tell me if I can or can't apply to more than one RDF unit at a time? As I live in the Eastern Brigade area, that includes the 62nd, 65th and 67 Res. Inf. Btns. (I've already applied to one of those and am awaiting clearance etc.)
    iii). Is the NSR in Cathal Brugha recruiting at all?
    iv). Does the fact that I'm 32 and have a Masters (not in an area which could lead to direct entry Commission, however) make me more or less 'recruitable'?
    v). Am I wasting my time? I'm relatively young, reasonably fit (conducting my own fitness program to try to meet RDF prescribed standards), and exceptionally keen to join and serve. Not for any other reason than to serve and learn. Promotion is not a huge concern of mine - I'll accept it in time, when the RDF think I'm ready, but not before....if that doesn't make me sound like an idiot!

    Sorry for 'invading' this thread. Hopefully, someone can clarify these questions. Thanks very much.

    F.T.


  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza


    FrankTank wrote: »
    Hi folks,

    Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd post here. Hope that's ok? I've applied to an RDF unit in the Eastern Brigade and am aware that there's a recruitment moratorium and may not get called at all - I can understand and accept that no problem. I wonder if somebody could PM me in relation to a few questions I had:

    i). Could somebody give me a specific answer in relation to eyesight? My glasses prescription is -2.75 in both eyes (shortsighted). Without them, I could only read the top line or two of an eye chart. Am I goosed there? Would I be disqualified if I got laser surgery (I'm thinking of doing this anyway, with or without acceptance into the RDF).
    ii). Could somebody tell me if I can or can't apply to more than one RDF unit at a time? As I live in the Eastern Brigade area, that includes the 62nd, 65th and 67 Res. Inf. Btns. (I've already applied to one of those and am awaiting clearance etc.)
    iii). Is the NSR in Cathal Brugha recruiting at all?
    iv). Does the fact that I'm 32 and have a Masters (not in an area which could lead to direct entry Commission, however) make me more or less 'recruitable'?
    v). Am I wasting my time? I'm relatively young, reasonably fit (conducting my own fitness program to try to meet RDF prescribed standards), and exceptionally keen to join and serve. Not for any other reason than to serve and learn. Promotion is not a huge concern of mine - I'll accept it in time, when the RDF think I'm ready, but not before....if that doesn't make me sound like an idiot!

    Sorry for 'invading' this thread. Hopefully, someone can clarify these questions. Thanks very much.

    F.T.


    Hey bud, I'm in the Southern Brigade so I don't know/can't comment on what going on with the Eastern Brigade but I am in an Infantry unit so I hope I can help ya out in some respects...

    I personally don#t think that the wearing of glasses or indeed have laser eye surgery wud affect you, theres plenty people I know from pte's to officers who wear glasses and never heard of them gettin into an ounce of grief over it.

    I should think that you'd be able to apply to more than one unit tbh, although it could be vonfusing for whoever does the paperwork for that unit and cud lead to ur application going in a number of times with different units which spreads out ur options but can create problems/hassle. If I were you I'd pick the one you want to go to and stick with that, keep calling down on training nites and see what stage ur application is at, its the only way you have to be seen and noticed to make sure your application gets seen to, I'm a qualified Engineer myself but i'm in an Infantry unit so it means nothing unless I transfer out to an engineering unit but I always think that the more learned you are the better and I'd see it as a plus rather than a minus to have a qualification.

    One of my best mates is a pte in his 30s (i'm a cpl myself, 27) he only joined at 28 I think and adds a bit of maturity/adult humour to the group which is only a good thing really. Fitness is a good thing to have whether your in the RDF or just in gneeral so in that respect keep plugging away!

    I hope this info helps ya out a bit and someone from the Eastern Brigade gets onto ya but thats all I say I'm afraid cos Southern and Eastern operate differently so I cannot say for sure what their policies are...


  • Registered Users Posts: 14 FrankTank


    Cheers, Mr. Tezza!


  • Registered Users Posts: 14 FrankTank


    PS, could anybody PM letting me know if there's even a sniff of a recruitment in E. Bde?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5


    Yeah, the age thing shouldn't be much of an issue. When I was training recruits, I was always happy to see older guys coming in, as they are generally have more cop on and are more self sufficient. The only problems with older guys would be occasionally the reverse situation. You will have to take orders issued by and learn from NCOs and officers who are younger than you. Some people did have problems with this, especially during recruit training, when there are lots of corrections and robust military training under Corporals, many of whom will be 19 or 20. If you don't have an issue with that, no will care about your age.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 FrankTank


    Thanks Donny5 - I've no problem with authority/age etc. As in rugby, play the ball, not the man. I respect the rank. Cheers for the post.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MICHAEL MYERS


    I was just wondering can members of the Reserve Defence Forces be sent away on Overseas Missions along with the PDF, or are they always based in Ireland.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MICHAEL MYERS


    Reserve Defence Forces

    I was just wondering can members of the Reserve Defence Forces be sent away on Overseas Missions, or are they always based in Ireland.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist


    Reserve Defence Forces

    I was just wondering can members of the Reserve Defence Forces be sent away on Overseas Missions, or are they always based in Ireland.

    As far as I remember the legal structure original FCA (which became the RDF) specifically excluded reserve members from serving overseas.

    As far as I know that has not changed. There was a proposal to send certain RDF specialists overseas. But, as I remember it. there was a deal where they were expected to transfer to the Permanent Defence Forces for a year to do so.


  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14


    Reserve Defence Forces

    I was just wondering can members of the Reserve Defence Forces be sent away on Overseas Missions, or are they always based in Ireland.

    RDF can go overseas but not on UN mandated missions. A small handful have been on training missions etc. but you are talking only 4 or 5 in the last few years. Places like Germany and Canada. Even fewer have visited a UN Mission but only on fact finding that lasted a day or 2.

    No RDF has been on a UN Mission as part of that mission.

    Then again, if you consider Bere Island overseas, then a lot have. :D


Advertisement