Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Saturn won't load games

Options
  • 23-06-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi all,

Doing a bit of attic clearing and came across my Saturn.

Powered on and picture on tv all good, but games won't load.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Is the disc spinning up ? Trying cleaning the lens and test again with an original audio cd, if it can't read that then the laser most likely is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've fixed two Saturns now which won't read games. Did a bit of a step by step on the second attempt. Probably the same problem you're having.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056644629

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Could also be this. If it is, you're in luck, its an inexpensive fix though perhaps a little time consuming.

Definitely try the following:

• Try playing a music CD that you know for fact isn't too scratched up to be unplayable.
    • If that plays (reliably), then that'll eliminate both dirt on the laser and a spindle that's out of alignment. If it will play CDs but not games I suppose its possible the problem is your Saturn game is from a different region (I guess?).
    • If it only plays intermittently try a different CD, and cleaning the lens.
    • If it doesn't play at all, then the problem may either be the spindle pushed down (in which case the you need to follow instructions in the thread I linked) or there may be a fault in the cable connecting the laser to the Saturn's board (or if your Saturn has a modchip fitted a fault in that is a possibility too).

Even if you can't get it to play any discs at all don't chuck it straight in the bin; it'll be worth a few euro on adverts for parts and repairs (it has a functioning PAL region Saturn power supply).

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭whackball

Thanks all for your suggestions/feedback. I will have a look through and hopefully it's something simple.

A5y - funny you should say that about adverts as I was planning on putting it up with this games I have if I get it going (or after your suggestion, even if I can't)

Cheers. Will let yet know how I get on.

Advertisement