Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice Question - tyre widths

Options
  • 22-06-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hello All

Please forgive this basic question but I'm after some advice about replacement tyres for my bike. It's a Carerra Subway ltd that's finally seeing some use after a couple of years hibernation.

The current tyres (Kenda MTB type) are 26 x 1.75 but as I'm doing all my cycling on Tarmac I'm thinking of changing to Slicks.

Trawling the web I've found the Continental Sport Contact tyres seem well regarded but the 26" only come in 1.3 & 1.6 widths. Can I go with the 1.6 or do I have to keep to 1.75?

Thanks for your help - Mike
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shayr

You could prob even go to 1.3, but check with LBS what your rims can take - my MTB came with 2.25's and i use 1.5 slicks on it for the road

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mcofferon

Thanks Shayr

Is there much to be gained by going narrower? Obviously the tyre would be a tad lighter, but would I need to be running at a higher tyre pressure then.

My arse can barely stand the state of the roads as is :)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

i'd go with the 1.6. You will notice a big difference going from mtb tyres to slicks. They are a bit faster and smoother. I changed the tyres on my old hardtail mtb bike and came it to my dad. He noticed a huge differnce as he always cycled on tarmac with big 2.3 knobbly tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mcofferon

Thanks Guys

I'll give the Conti's a go come payday and let you know how I get on

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Just took the kendas off my own carrera subway today and fitted new schwalbe city jet 26-1.5,between taking off the kendas and fitting new tyres i managed to snap 3 tyre levers,hope youre tyre changing exploits go smoother than mine;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 shayr

When I moved from 2.25's to 1.5, ye first thing i noticed was that i could feel every bump in the road, feeling goes away quickly though :)

Just make sure your rims can take the higher pressure - found that on the rim inside when i took the 2.25's off

Advertisement