Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Habitual Residence after being abroad for 10+ years

Options
  • 22-06-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

After being outside the Common Traveling Area (Ireland/UK) for 10+ years I plan to schedule some interviews and see if I can move back to Ireland. I am very flexible and if I cannot find something soon I will look at part-time or even minimum wage jobs to get me working.

My question is, if I run out of funds and still cannot find any work, how difficult will it be for me to get some help (i.e. Jobseekers Allowance)?

I am familiar with the procedures on the Citizens Information website.
    Thanks in advance for any comments from those with a similar experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

JSP wrote: »
    After being outside the Common Traveling Area (Ireland/UK) for 10+ years I plan to schedule some interviews and see if I can move back to Ireland. I am very flexible and if I cannot find something soon I will look at part-time or even minimum wage jobs to get me working.

My question is, if I run out of funds and still cannot find any work, how difficult will it be for me to get some help (i.e. Jobseekers Allowance)?

I am familiar with the procedures on the Citizens Information website.
    Thanks in advance for any comments from those with a similar experience.

First question are you an Irish National? Do you own property abroad and if yes are you going to dispose of it? Have you family still living in Ireland? Did you work in Ireland before going abroad? Will you be transporting belongings home other than bringing just a suitcase of clothes? If you are renting abroad will you be able to show that you have terminated your lease abroad? Do you have permanent residency in the country you are in? Are you married/divorced? If divorced are there children and what are the custody arrangements?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JSP

eastbono wrote: »
    First question are you an Irish National?
    Yes

the questions seem to assess whether a person has cut ties with the former country of residence? I believe I could show that.

If so, is there a good chance I could qualify for some supplementary help if I find it takes longer than expected to get work?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes

the questions seem to assess whether a person has cut ties with the former country of residence? I believe I could show that.

If so, is there a good chance I could qualify for some supplementary help if I find it takes longer than expected to get work?
    Thanks

We did it with a family member returning home after some 40 years, and needing disability allowance, but there was a lot of red tape and delay. In between you can get supplementary money but that is up to the CWO.

The attitude was that she should not have arrived back without the means
    to survive.

But the help is there aand you are entitled.

I am sure that you will need an address here etc of course and proof eg bank account/utility bills of residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JSP

Graces7 wrote: »
    there was a lot of red tape and delay. In between you can get supplementary money but that is up to the CWO.

Thanks for the information.
    Approximately how long did it take, from the first application until the CWO provided some assistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks for the information.
    Approximately how long did it take, from the first application until the CWO provided some assistance?

Was trying to remember. In her case the disability was easily proved but it was the habitual residence they are so sticky on.

They hate folk coming into the country with no means of support, but you are Irish and this is your home country and you are entitled.

But you do need an address etc. We paid a month's rent to establish that.

Maybe a month? Once it is all in the pipeline, they will usually know that it will work through and give the money.

The faster you can supply the documentation, the faster it will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

there is no such thing that because you are from this country you are entitled. you need to prove your centre of interest is ireland and have all the back up documentation to prove it. this could go on for weeks if not months so be prepared to wait.

there is no such thing as entitled. the only thing you are entitled to do is apply. dont be fooled into thinking any different.

it would make it a lot easier if you came back to a job and worker for a while or even if you came back to the promise of a job and that fell through. that throws a different twist on it.

Advertisement