Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm Considering moving to Canada

Options
  • 22-06-2012 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi, I'm 18 years old and just finished school. I'm sick of Ireland because I can't find work anywhere. I just found out that I can get into Canada on a working/Holiday visa. I was wondering would it be easy to find some part time work over there like working in a store or shopping mall and then work my way up through the year ?????. I was also thinking when the year is up can I apply for another year if I find a good job. I don't want to have to leave the Canada after finding a decent job. Any information will help me out a lot and I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RunninReba

Best bet would be to work in the oil rigs, unless your a lady. To be fair, not much work over there either. I've heard of people returning because they aren't willing to work manual labour jobs. I'd say you might want to do some research into where you're going and if you don't have family/place to stay/ample funds saved than I wouldn't even consider it. Maybe think about going to Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 xXCivicMadXx

RunninReba wrote: »
    Best bet would be to work in the oil rigs, unless your a lady. To be fair, not much work over there either. I've heard of people returning because they aren't willing to work manual labour jobs. I'd say you might want to do some research into where you're going and if you don't have family/place to stay/ample funds saved than I wouldn't even consider it. Maybe think about going to Australia?

i would be willing to do manual labour jobs anyjob would suit me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Canada International Experience visa (the same as WHV) is sold out for this year.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

• Registered Users Posts: 38 xXCivicMadXx

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The Canada International Experience visa (the same as WHV) is sold out for this year.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ireland-irlande/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

i got clearance for my visa last night for next year im not going this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

RunninReba wrote: »
    Best bet would be to work in the oil rigs, unless your a lady.

An 18 year old just out of school has as much chance of landing a job on an oil rig as landing a job as an astronaut. I too have heard less-than-encouraging stories about the job scene in Canada , as best as I can make out those with skills and experience are getting the jobs but without those it can be tough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

i would be willing to do manual labour jobs anyjob would suit me

Unless you want to spend your life on minimum wage jobs, take the time to get some qualifications while you can. It is much easier do that while you are living at home than later....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I agree. You will definitely regret not getting some sort of qualification. Like it or not you are competing with those around you, and if you're one of the few without skills or a qualification you will always struggle to find a job, nevermind a decent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irishoverseas

I dont know why you all are being so negative in your replies, it shows a lack of knowledge of the labour shortage in all jobs in Canada. As regards work in the oil industry you would have no problem getting employment but you would be working 2 weeks straight 12 hour days in remote locations and would start as a basic helper. They pay top dollar too for this, e.g. $25/hour and accomodation and food provided as well and a flight back to the city youre based at. In Alberta take it from me you can walk onto a construction job and get work, they need people. So do your research first. If at anytime you wanted to pursue a career most companies can help send you to college to pick up a trade or similar and you can do this at any age. My advice is get out there and things will fall into place for you. Oh and before I start getting hate mail from people, I live in Canada for the last couple of years and know what I'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

A number of people have told stories of going to Canada and coming home severely disappointed at the job scene there - why do you think this is ?

I dont know why you all are being so negative in your replies, it shows a lack of knowledge of the labour shortage in all jobs in Canada.

People said the exact same thing about Ireland in 2004. "Sure you can walk onto any construction site and earn a fortune as a labourer". That didn't turn out to be very good advice, did it?

Sure you can spend the rest of your life moving from country to country looking for unskilled labour, but as you get older that turns into a very difficult life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 sunnymilo

I dont know why you all are being so negative in your replies, it shows a lack of knowledge of the labour shortage in all jobs in Canada. As regards work in the oil industry you would have no problem getting employment but you would be working 2 weeks straight 12 hour days in remote locations and would start as a basic helper. They pay top dollar too for this, e.g. $25/hour and accomodation and food provided as well and a flight back to the city youre based at. In Alberta take it from me you can walk onto a construction job and get work, they need people. So do your research first. If at anytime you wanted to pursue a career most companies can help send you to college to pick up a trade or similar and you can do this at any age. My advice is get out there and things will fall into place for you. Oh and before I start getting hate mail from people, I live in Canada for the last couple of years and know what I'm talking about.
    hi.do you know of any electrical companies hiring over there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Someone has suggested moving this to Living Abroad, so I'm gonna do that in the hope that the OP gets advice from folks there or just back.

Personally I'm not sure that Alberta's oil fields are a place to send an 18 year old ... but there are some folks who it will suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

**** Moving from USA to LIving Abroad ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Delancey wrote: »
    A number of people have told stories of going to Canada and coming home severely disappointed at the job scene there - why do you think this is ?

Most likely because they concentrated their searches in Toronto and Vancouver where competition is highest for work.
    the further inland you go the more jobs there are

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irishoverseas

So at 18 years of age you are old enough to vote, to drink, to drive but not to work? Please folks. Beter be employed and earning good money in Canada and maybe sending some of it home to help than sitting on your arse in Good old Ireland in the 188 club (no disrespect intended). And regarding being in an "unskilled job" get a grip. I ll be willing to wager labourers in the oil industry earn a lot more than most so called qualified professions at home at the moment. Do you have any idea what the oil fields work entail? you are not out at sea battling waves and storms hanging onto a rig... you are on dry land doing tasks that require concentration and you get rewarded for it by getting paid well. Regarding those who travelled to Canada looking for work and returned home empty handed I m guessing they were not willing to work in the first place and hoped to be handed a gilt edged position as soon as the showed their passport at the airport. If they had researched a little before they travelled they would be better equiped with the tools necessary to suceed. Irelands boom was fueled by greedy people buying and selling each others houses in the hope of making money. Canada has natural resources like oil that it trades so its not artificial.Check out their credit rating AAA. Their banks are some of the best regulated in the world. Health care is free for all residents..you can walk into any doctor and not have to pay for treatment. So before you throw your sixpence worth in, ask yourself, Do I have a clue about what Im saying? I reckon you dont. Recently the Canadian government released a statement saying they needed one million people to fill jobs in demand over the coming years! How many jobs has Enda Kenny got for you?

So at 18 years of age you are old enough to vote, to drink, to drive but not to work? Please folks. Beter be employed and earning good money in Canada and maybe sending some of it home to help than sitting on your arse in Good old Ireland in the 188 club (no disrespect intended). And regarding being in an "unskilled job" get a grip. I ll be willing to wager labourers in the oil industry earn a lot more than most so called qualified professions at home at the moment. Do you have any idea what the oil fields work entail? you are not out at sea battling waves and storms hanging onto a rig... you are on dry land doing tasks that require concentration and you get rewarded for it by getting paid well. Regarding those who travelled to Canada looking for work and returned home empty handed I m guessing they were not willing to work in the first place and hoped to be handed a gilt edged position as soon as the showed their passport at the airport. If they had researched a little before they travelled they would be better equiped with the tools necessary to suceed. Irelands boom was fueled by greedy people buying and selling each others houses in the hope of making money. Canada has natural resources like oil that it trades so its not artificial.Check out their credit rating AAA. Their banks are some of the best regulated in the world. Health care is free for all residents..you can walk into any doctor and not have to pay for treatment. So before you throw your sixpence worth in, ask yourself, Do I have a clue about what Im saying? I reckon you dont. Recently the Canadian government released a statement saying they needed one million people to fill jobs in demand over the coming years! How many jobs has Enda Kenny got for you?

Having no qualifications or transferable skills can make your life very difficult when you are older. if Canada will be booming forever (like you suggest) it would make sense to get qualifications before heading over as it is a lot harder to go back to college after you have already started working and are used to having money.

The world has changed: most people now go to college and like it or not we are all competing with these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

i first went to canada when i was 25 apart from having a PLC diploma and working in a call center back in ireland doing tech support i had no real education other than a leaving cert. When i came to Canada i found out fast that i needed to get an education so after my swap visa was up i headed home after working in some very poorly paid jobs and i went back to university. I came back to canada last year on the under 35 visa with a degree and work experience under my belt and now i earn double what i used to get here. I know what the op is thinking he has been in school for years and just wants out. I myself I was sent to boarding school so when I got out i just wanted to be free of school but i wasted a lot of time in getting back into education.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

just to add to the above posts, I've first hand experience of Canada and 18 is to young to expect to have any luck getting a job over there, most Canadians are still in school at 19 the collage then grad school.

Anybody below 25 is considered a child in Canada, so unless you have some contacts in Canada the only work you'll get is maybe service industry, and Canada has a much lower minimum wage than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

just to add to the above posts, I've first hand experience of Canada and 18 is to young to expect to have any luck getting a job over there, most Canadians are still in school at 19 the collage then grad school.

Anybody below 25 is considered a child in Canada, so unless you have some contacts in Canada the only work you'll get is maybe service industry, and Canada has a much lower minimum wage than Ireland.

$10.25 an hour and belive me its hard to even live on $14.29 an hour. When I came over in Sept i got a job contracting for one of the big name IT companies and im 30 years old they only paid me $14.29 an hour and with renting just a room in a house for $525 there was not much of a social life to be had on that money. $10.25 would be only enough to pay your rent if you can get a really cheap place to live, get to and from work (metro pass costs $126 a month) and your food with very little eating out apart from that you couldnt afford a social life on that money.

Advertisement