Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Border line homeless and unable to feed self only for generous family - Can I claim?

Options
  • 22-06-2012 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I'm a mature student who went back to college last year, and I'm currently doing a degree in UCD.

Obviously the academic year has finished, and I've spent the last 7 or 8 weeks looking for work each and every day to no avail. I didn't realise it was going to be this bad, as I suppose I was lucky last summer, I managed to find work relatively quickly.

Long story short, I live rent free in a house thanks to help from others, and I have literally only had 2k of grant money in the last year to keep me going, everything else I've had to rely on my GF and even walking to my parents house to eat, as I can't afford it.

If my gf left me and (God forbid) anything happened to my parents, I'd be homeless over night and would not be able to feed myself tomorrow due to having absolutely no money and unable to find a job.

Is there anything I can claim whilst off college to help out in my situation? I'm really getting depressed and desperate with the work situation, and the strain it's putting on people around me to support me is taking it's toll too.

Is there any help I can get?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You should be able to claim SW - JSB if you have enough contributions paid or JSA if you haven't.
    While you are waiting for your claim to be processed go to the Community Welfare officer and apply for supplementary allowance.

You should also check out the Student Assistance Fund details here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/pca7235.html

Advertisement