Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax refund on unemployment?

Options
  • 22-06-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

Does anyone know about tax refunds when you leave work?
    I will be finishing work around mid December because I'm going travelling for a year. I have worked from the start of the tax year and will finish before the tax year ends.
    Does this mean I can get a refund on USC & PAYE paid during the year?
    Or is this only applicable if one has been made redundant?

I haven't asked the tax office this, but i presume it would be hard to get a straight answer.
    Anyways thanks for your help:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Hi All,

Does anyone know about tax refunds when you leave work?
    I will be finishing work around mid December because I'm going travelling for a year. I have worked from the start of the tax year and will finish before the tax year ends.
    Does this mean I can get a refund on USC & PAYE paid during the year?
    Or is this only applicable if one has been made redundant?

I haven't asked the tax office this, but i presume it would be hard to get a straight answer.
    Anyways thanks for your help:)

I'll address your last comment first. Where did you pick up the notion that you can't get a straight answer from Revenue? Most PAYE questions relatively straightforward and can be answered quite easily. Yours is a straightforward one based on the info supplied.

Your question smacks of a "man in the pub told me" or a "mate of mine got money back at some point so I'm entitled to some" queries that make up a significant portion of a PAYE sections workload. God I wish basic PAYE was taught in secondary schools.

Anyway apologies, rant over.

Refunds of tax are based on 3 things;

1 You being taxed incorrectly by your employer (emergency tax etc)
    2 Claiming additional tax reliefs/credits.
    3 Claim for unused rate band/credits in a particular tax year.

You fall into option 3. The tax year ends on the 31st of December so your refund of tax (if any is due) would be based on the last two weeks of December if you are finishing in mid December. There is no such thing as getting all your tax back because you are leaving the country, otherwise everyone would be doing it. Refunds based on lump sums when you are made redundant are different to normal refund claims.

This info is available on the Revenue website. Here's a few links.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/tax-refunds.html

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it11.html

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/faqs/how-do-i-work-out-my-tax.html

Advertisement