Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending DAB/Internet radio abroad for repair?

Options
  • 22-06-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭

I have a Revo Blik RadioStation that I need to send to Scotland for repair I don't have the original box anymore and was wondering does anyone have any experience of sending similar things through the post or ideas of how to wrap it safely (can you buy small boxes for posting etc?) to send off, the dimensions are:

70mm (H) x 255mm (W) x 120mm (D)

You can see the relative size of it in this short video:

http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/videos/other/best-buy-dab-radios-revo-blik-radio-station

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

For anyone interested got a "Pop up Mailing Box" in Reads of Nassau St that fits it exactly for 1.50 plus some bubble wrap, so job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

As a matter of interest, what was wrong the the radio that you had to send it back for repair. I have the same model and the lcd display no longer works, I'm wondering if it is a common issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I sent a Revo iBlik back to Scotland via An Post, it arrived in one piece and I got it back no problem.

http://www.revo.co.uk/digital-radio/revo-iblik-radiostation.php

My problem turned out not to be a problem with the radio, it was the settings in my internet router - doh! However now that I'm out of warranty, I sometimes have a problem switching it on, it can take a few hits on the on/off button to get it into action.

Edit: Just checked the An Post website and what you're looking for is the 'packet' rate which is applicable if the item is within the following:

Maximum dimensions: for a packet are a combined length, height and depth of 900mm. No individual dimension can exceed 600mm, with a tolerance of 2mm.

and weighs no more than 2 kgs. Anything bigger is called a 'parcel' so if you decide to use An Post, make sure when you're in the post office that you mention that you want the 'packet' rate.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/What+Are+You+Sending+Details.htm#packet

As a matter of interest, what was wrong the the radio that you had to send it back for repair. I have the same model and the lcd display no longer works, I'm wondering if it is a common issue.

To be fair I've had it for 4 years (since June 12th 2008) and I've got great value out of it as I've listened to net radio or DAB on it every day, unless I was away, since then. It was fine until about 3 months ago and then the display started flickering and was low light, it went completely blank yesterday as you said even though it was perfect apart from that! They quoted me to fix it: "For your particular model of Revo this charge is £24.95 + return delivery". That "post box" as I said cost me 1.50 and fit it exactly. I wrapped it with 2 layers of bubble-wrap for safety before putting it in and stuck some 'fragile' tape on the box (also from Reads). The postal price was 7.50. Email them saying what your problem is and they'll email you a customer number to quote on the package, its support@revo.co.uk. How old is yours btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Mine is four years old too, but the display went after one year. They quoted me the price same three years ago to fix it, but like all good Irish men I decided why fix a problem when you can just live with it ;)

• Advertisement

Mine is four years old too, but the display went after one year. They quoted me the price same three years ago to fix it, but like all good Irish men I decided why fix a problem when you can just live with it ;)

At least I got 4 years out of mine before it went, but there is no way I could continue using it without a display! impossible to flick through modes, set alarm for morning or know what internet stations its on.

coylemj wrote: »
    I sent a Revo iBlik back to Scotland via An Post, it arrived in one piece and I got it back no problem.

http://www.revo.co.uk/digital-radio/revo-iblik-radiostation.php

My problem turned out not to be a problem with the radio, it was the settings in my internet router - doh! However now that I'm out of warranty, I sometimes have a problem switching it on, it can take a few hits on the on/off button to get it into action.

Edit: Just checked the An Post website and what you're looking for is the 'packet' rate which is applicable if the item is within the following:

Maximum dimensions: for a packet are a combined length, height and depth of 900mm. No individual dimension can exceed 600mm, with a tolerance of 2mm.

and weighs no more than 2 kgs. Anything bigger is called a 'parcel' so if you decide to use An Post, make sure when you're in the post office that you mention that you want the 'packet' rate.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/What+Are+You+Sending+Details.htm#packet

Hi sent it and it cost 7.50 which is fine, how much do they charge to ship it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hi sent it and it cost 7.50 which is fine, how much do they charge to ship it back?

They shipped mine back for free, it was under warranty at the time.

Advertisement