Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony 40" great spec TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

why avoid the dongle?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Expensive and apparently, from reviews, the range is truly awful, like you need the router in the same room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Expensive and apparently, from reviews, the range is truly awful, like you need the router in the same room.

What do you expect? I come to BA these days to have a look at the stuff i shouldn't buy

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rmongey

Something you don't need, ha ha...

What do you expect? I come to BA these days to have a look at the stuff i shouldn't buy

From Sony, I expect an expensive product to work correctly and better than cheaper alternatives.

This thread is about a good spec TV for good money and as a BA, its better to point out the downsides to an extra you may need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

It's working out at €661,99 for me.
    Would the Toshiba in the other thread be a better buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭TriStar6

54kroc wrote: »
    It's working out at €661,99 for me.
    Would the Toshiba in the other thread be a better buy?

Think the Toshiba offer is over

Toshiba offer is over, but i went against it because the Sony menu system was much clearer and modern, better brand and the Toshiba, as far as i could see, hadnt got their USB recording firmware out yet which i need.

I bought the TV at €650 last week, exchange rate must be getting worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Did you get it yet and try it?

BostonB wrote: »
    Did you get it yet and try it?

Arrived at the house this morning, will have a play around this weekend with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

I use the dongle in a Sony home theatre (TV is wireless built in) and I've had no difficulties with range.

reviews on Amazon suggest the dongle has very limited range.

TV is awesome. Been playing with it over the weekend. Jet blacks show up some LED light leaking (not the right term i'm sure), and the sound is pretty awful, but everything else is incredible. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

TV is awesome. Been playing with it over the weekend. Jet blacks show up some LED light leaking (not the right term i'm sure), and the sound is pretty awful, but everything else is incredible. Love it.

Does it pick up the Saorview channels?

Yup. I picked up Saorview on it. Wideband grid aerial in the attic hooked up to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I would expect sound is a pretty important factor in choosing a TV? So if it's awful how is this a great TV?

Try getting any slimline LED TV to sound good....

In comparison to an older LCD TV the sound is worse, but this is a common issue with all LED TV's. Soundbar or cinema system turns it into an amazing package.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

They refer to it as backlight bleed on Av forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

GG66 wrote: »
    I would expect sound is a pretty important factor in choosing a TV? So if it's awful how is this a great TV?

They probably use a sound system. Personally I don't bother with the speakers on my tv either.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

Does anyone know if this has an RTE player app or is that only on Samsung Smart Tv's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Try getting any slimline LED TV to sound good....

In comparison to an older LCD TV the sound is worse, but this is a common issue with all LED TV's. Soundbar or cinema system turns it into an amazing package.

Does it come with 3D glasses or do you have to buy them separate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

So, a soundbar or surround bumps the price up for decent sound ..

Thanks nobodyimportant & Johnny Johnson.

So you find an LED TV with great specs and make, that has decent in built sounds GC66 thats good value.

I picked up a cinema system from Adverts for €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 JudgeRoyBean

Bought this the other day and thought people might be interested.

Its a pretty good spec, 3D, Smart, 4 HDMI, 2 USB (with Recording), 100hz etc. £500 (€650 delivered).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL40EX723BU-Widescreen-Internet-Freeview/dp/B004S9DWW2/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=560798&s=electronics

Newer model is £800.

Just avoid the Sony wireless dongle if you are going wireless to connect it to the net.
    Did Amazon deliver it here or is it through that company in the north. I thought they only directly delivered up to 32".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Just avoid the Sony wireless dongle if you are going wireless to connect it to the net.

Can you use an alternative to the Sony dongle if you want to connect wirelessly ?

I thought Sony had this all tied up ?

Yup, they delivered no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 JudgeRoyBean

Yup, they delivered no problem.
    Cheers. Sounds like a good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

banchang wrote: »
    Can you use an alternative to the Sony dongle if you want to connect wirelessly ?

I thought Sony had this all tied up ?

You just need a dongle that uses the same chipset as the Sony one. From one of the better known manufacturers like tplink it should cost about €15-20-it's just a matter of finding the correct type.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

banchang wrote: »

Yeah, you can just use a Wifi to Ethernet adapter like the following (which is quite popular for use with Bravia's for the reason the OP outlined):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Universal-Wifi-Internet-Adapter/dp/B003VIWJYI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1341214685&sr=8-5

Advertisement