Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mercedes w115 advice please!

Options
  • 22-06-2012 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi guys I was asking about this on the aircooled forum and they directed me here. I saw this on done deal today and I'm really interested in it, I got a job in Dublin so thought I'd get something a bit more comfy than the beetle for driving up to derry, plus I have a road trip around france planned in august. The fact its diesel is a big plus too. It would be a daily driver.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3464916

I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about them so thought I'd ask what people on here's opinions are on these cars, and their thoughts on the one I linked.

I'm supposed to go view it on saturday but its a six hour trip so I thought I'd ask first to see if anyone who's in the know lives near this boy and could have a look for me. (if ye don't ask ye don't get :p)

It would be a big help if someone could give me a bit of advice on this thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It should be good fun for a road trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Car is in good order, and the guy selling it is sound as you will get. If you are looking for a diesel W115 it's as good a one as you will find anywhere around. That car did the recent ring of Kerry run with the Kerry Vintage club without an issue.
    Diesel mercs of that vintage are an aquired taste though. You will definatly have to drive it to see how u like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

I know someone who has view it. Check how the Automatic box is changing gears when you test drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Well I'd trust carchaeologists judgement on any classic, though having said that he hates Mercs and is probably hoping there will be one less to meet on the roads of Kerry in the future. :)

Being serious, if he reckons it's good I'd be happy with that, check for rust below the windows, jack it up and listen for any cracking noises and check to see if it's straight. The engines will go over 1,000,000 km if they are looked after properly and the oil and filter changed on time.

That engine with the auto is a cruiser, slow but safe, but if you've had a Beetle up to now you are probably used to cruising instead of racing. Not as economical as you'd think but probably better than the Beetle, much more comfortable though.

The non original steering wheel (belongs to a slightly earlier model) is nice and suits the whole "window down, elbow out, steering wheel between finger and thumb driving style". If you're going to have the car for a while you might consider putting the car on period barock alloys (pic below) as the hubcaps tend to get nicked if they are in good condition.

Overall looks excellent, if I was in the market for a W114/5 I'd go for a look. If you do buy it do us all a favour and change the plates to black on white front and black on red rear ones, the 2 letter, 4 figure number is crying out for it. ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-ZW8md22cpMExhzs3sY9sZs8i9z3hjaOK1h6RVBOnhe5bx1EACQ

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭WDB123

I have a black steering wheel and alloys if youre are interested PM, as the white one looks odd to me but if you like it thats all that matters

parts are getting expencive for w115/114, sevice parts are cheap thou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 captain_d0nkey

Thanks very much for the info, the company I insure my beetle with and the only company that I've seen that would insure me on a classic at 22 wouldn't insure it, engine too big probably, even though it probably accelerates slower and has the same top speed as my beetle. This is a UK based company though, does anyone know of a company down here I could try?

What I'm looking for is a classic thats as economical as I can get, comfortable and as reliable as a classic can be so this a w123 diesel of a mk1 golf diesel seem to be my only options can anyone think of others?

also this would be my daily which is something to take into account when recommending insurance companies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Blue850

These W114/5s could teach Fiat 127s how to rust....I know, I own both:D

Check out these horrors for rot spots, the bulkhead is a notorious rust trap,as seen with the blue one below

08072010002.jpg

23082010105.jpg
    W115 restoration

17107a17.jpg
    W114 coupe restoration

Still trying to get this insurance sorted first before I go any further, can't seem to find a classic policy anywhere and then normal insurance companies won't insure over 20 years old. I did an online quote with FBD because I heard they insure 20+ year cars and it came back as 950e using my 1 years ncb. I'll ring them tomorrow to clarify though. All it asked for in the quote was age, license type, ncb and engine size! not even petrol or diesel, it could have been some 2.4l modern day flying machine for all they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

I had a 1972 220d as a daily for 10,000kms and it never missed a beat.
    It was slow to get moving, but TBH, if I pushed it a little I was generally as fast as most people who just pootle around.

Once you get up to speed it is a fine car for cruising around it, which suited me as I was mostly on N road and motorway.

I had it insured as a normal daily car with First Ireland, but the cost went up. Not as high as you are quoting but then I am not as young!

• Advertisement

El Kabong! wrote: »
    I had a 1972 220d as a daily for 10,000kms and it never missed a beat.
    It was slow to get moving, but TBH, if I pushed it a little I was generally as fast as most people who just pootle around.

Once you get up to speed it is a fine car for cruising around it, which suited me as I was mostly on N road and motorway.

I had it insured as a normal daily car with First Ireland, but the cost went up. Not as high as you are quoting but then I am not as young!

I was thinking 950e was good! Haha it's turning out to be a real nightmare trying to get someone to insure me I tried first Ireland on classic and normal insurance nothing came back for both :(

axa said they could quote me a a main car but said they wouldn't tell me the amount until I gave them an nct certificate or something along those lines which is a bit dodgey because they could end up charging me a ridiculous price! I'd be happy to pay up to 1000e though.

Talked to the guy selling the car today, really nice man he said the car would do 55-60 mph realistically. I thought the 240d did 84 mph max and would have puttered along fine at 65 mph.

I suppose I'll have to go down and have a look, dreading the 6 hour round trip though and wish I had a more solid backing from an insurance company before I go ahead with this.

Advertisement