Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dialect test.

Options
  • 21-06-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody, I'd just like to see what kind of dialects we have on boards (if that's okay).:) I just think it would be interesting to see the spread of linguistic forms we have.

Basically how would you say the following seven short sentences:

1. The bird is on the churn/window.
    2. The birds are on the churns/window.
    3. The bottom of the window
    4. The bottoms of the windows
    5. The windows.
    6. I broke the chair.
    7. You are here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

What does "on the window" mean? Do you mean Leac na fuinneoige? The window sill?

In any case, it's a great question, though I feel that proposing specific sentences might limit the potential variability of the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Using the "ar an" form would literally mean that the bird was somehow stuck to the window - I'd be more inclined to use "ag an" or "ar leac na fuinneoige" etc, but I'm assuming you're not concerned about that and are looking for how people use lenition, eclipses etc? On that basis, I'll stick to "ar an".
    EDIT - I see Gumbi got there ahead of me!

1. Tá an t-éan ar an fhuinneog.
    2. Tá na héin/na héanacha ar na fuinneoga. (I'd use either form, probably the former in writing and the latter conversationally).
    3. Bun na fuinneoige.
    4. Bun na bhfuinneoga
    5. Na fuinneoga.
    6. Bhris mé an chathaoir.
    7. Tá tú anseo. (although if used conversationally, e.g. greeting someone informally, I might say "Ah, tá tú ann.")

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Gumbi wrote: »
    What does "on the window" mean? Do you mean Leac na fuinneoige? The window sill?

In any case, it's a great question, though I feel that proposing specific sentences might limit the potential variability of the responses.
    Yes, the "on the window" thing is silly as translating it makes no sense. I've changed it to churn (cuinneog) in the original post.

I've done this because -óg/eog ending words have the most possible forms, they can display (if a dialect marks them) three cases and three numbers.

mr chips wrote: »
    Using the "ar an" form would literally mean that the bird was somehow stuck to the window - I'd be more inclined to use "ag an" or "ar leac na fuinneoige" etc, but I'm assuming you're not concerned about that and are looking for how people use lenition, eclipses etc? On that basis, I'll stick to "ar an".
    EDIT - I see Gumbi got there ahead of me!

1. Tá an t-éan ar an fhuinneog.
    2. Tá na héin/na héanacha ar na fuinneoga. (I'd use either form, probably the former in writing and the latter conversationally).
    3. Bun na fuinneoige.
    4. Bun na bhfuinneoga
    5. Na fuinneoga.
    6. Bhris mé an chathaoir.
    7. Tá tú anseo. (although if used conversationally, e.g. greeting someone informally, I might say "Ah, tá tú ann.")
    I don't think no. 4 makes any sense. It should "... na bhfuinneog"

That's one of the things I'm checking. Use of the genitive plural, some dialects don't bother with it, like Conamara dialects.

• Advertisement

Enkidu wrote: »
    That's one of the things I'm checking. Use of the genitive plural, some dialects don't bother with it, like Conamara dialects.
    Are you sure? Is that actually a staple of the dialect?

Yeah, indeed it is, see "Learning Irish" by Micheál Ó Siadhail, "The Irish of Chois Fhairrge" by Tomás de Bhaldraithe, or mr chips:) (if he's a Conamara speaker).

Yeah, indeed it is, see "Learning Irish" by Micheál Ó Siadhail, "The Irish of Chois Fhairrge" by Tomás de Bhaldraithe, or mr chips:) (if he's a Conamara speaker).
    GRMA My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Actually, it was my mistake, I should indeed have said "Bun na bhfuinneog" for "The bottoms of the windows". Feet of clay, feet of clay, the shame of it!!! :D

PS Ulster dialect FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

As mr chips except ...na fuinneogaí for the windows....Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Hi everybody, I'd just like to see what kind of dialects we have on boards (if that's okay).:) I just think it would be interesting to see the spread of linguistic forms we have.

Basically how would you say the following seven short sentences:

1. The bird is on the churn/window.
    2. The birds are on the churns/window.
    3. The bottom of the window
    4. The bottoms of the windows
    5. The windows.
    6. I broke the chair.
    7. You are here.

1. Tá an éan ar an bhfuinneog.
    2. Tá na héin ar an bhfuinneog.
    3. Bun na fuinneoige.
    4. Bunanna na bhfuinneog.
    5. Na fuinneoga.
    6. Bhriseas an chathaoir.
    7. Tá tú anseo.

Pretty much how I'd say it. I've smattering of the Munster dialect in my speech, but as I've never stayed in the Gaeltacht, it's not pure xD I grew up speaking Irish, and am fully bilingual.

Edit: I do tend to say "anso" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I have "dublin irish" (so I have a mix of every dialect, mixed unevenly)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Pretty much how I'd say it. I've smattering of the Munster dialect in my speech, but as I've never stayed in the Gaeltacht, it's not pure xD I grew up speaking Irish, and am fully bilingual.

Edit: I do tend to say "anso" though.

What other "Munsterisms" do you have, out of interest?

I'd half use an fhoirm tháite for verbs - I'd say "bhíos" or "bhíodar", but I wouldn't really say "bhís" or "bhíobhair". I also sometimes say "beids" instead of "beidh mé", but it seems "bead" would be the correct Munster Irish, there - I don't really know where that one comes from!

I also say Gaelainn/Gaelinn/Gaoluinn, but I always spell it Gaeilge.

I'd very rarely say "so"/"anso". I think I decided at a young age that it was just "wrong"!

Also: An t-éan :) Hmmm. I've a few. I would sometimes use an fhorim tháite, though not always. I use a thógaint instead of a thógáil (take). I tend to use "fé" instead of "faoi", but not always. "Do" in the past tense more often than not. "do bhí" instead of "bhí" etc.

Advertisement