Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wormery

Options
  • 21-06-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of making a worm composter out of a water butt. The butt has a tap at the bottom so i could drain out the 'tea' which you can use as plant food. I have picked up some ideas from the net, putting gravel in the bottom to make drainage area, then a perforated platic sheet over it, then bedding for the worms and the usual worm diet compostables.

Any ideas as to whether this might work or not?

The water butt is lot cheaper than a wormery.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

No reason it shouldnt work!

Sounds great!

I emptied most of my compost bin this year (two years worth of great compost!), there must have been thousands of worms in it. I noticed the sheer amount of them several months before I emptied the bin.

Did nothing special for this, bunged a couple in whenever I dug them up when gardening.

Needless to say, I was delighted with them! :)

Druss.

http://paddy-halligan.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/#!/druss_rua

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I used to have one for fishing they seem to do fine once they don't get drowned by rain or heated up by the sun

stones in the bottom is a good idea after that just make sure thay are always in the shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

bonniebede wrote: »
    I was thinking of making a worm composter out of a water butt. The butt has a tap at the bottom so i could drain out the 'tea' which you can use as plant food. I have picked up some ideas from the net, putting gravel in the bottom to make drainage area, then a perforated platic sheet over it, then bedding for the worms and the usual worm diet compostables.

Any ideas as to whether this might work or not?

The water butt is lot cheaper than a wormery.

i have one from an old wheelie bin, tap fitted to the bottom & piped to a 5 gallon drum, have 1" weld mesh on 4x2 timber on the bottom & straw layer on top of that, drains good. i just take off top layer in spring, add compost to ground then back in a layer of straw then the old top layer & way we go again.

The worms were killed during cold of January last year. Added some old dung with plenty of wroms to get started again.

A

Advertisement