Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focous Diesel Without TDCi badge

Options
  • 21-06-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I'm just about to buy a secondhand 08 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi. Everything seems great about it however I'm obsessing over a minor detail which might or might not be an issue. The model, I'm told, is the Style TDCi. Now, on every Ford Focus Diesel I have ever seen there has been a badge on the right hand side of the boot saying what model it is with the TDCi logo underneath. This one however has nothing. Just the Focus logo on the left. This is my first time buying a Ford and what I want to know is this a common occurrence or could it mean something a bit more serious like the car has been in an accident and had its boot replaced? Any input would be much appreciated. I believe the car is an English import so that could be it.

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,426 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

May have had repair work on the boot door

Link to ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Maybe somebody took it off.

Maybe it was de-bagded as a specific order from the factory.

Maybe it did have a boot replaced.

Just stick the logo into cartell and it will tell you what model of Focus it is.

Style, (entry level)
    Zetec,
    Ghia,
    etc etc

If it's a 2008 with KMs dials it not an English import unless somebody well way out of their way to do it.

If its uk make sure it's registered there after July 08 or you're on cc based rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 krosullivan

Cheers for the input. I guess I'm just paranoid to be honest. It's definitely an english import and has been registered Irish last week. I've been assured it's the emissions tax too.

Probably should have put up a pic so here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qeukcs2mth3u6w/Focus.png

Maybe it's the light but the boot door looks a different shade.

Have you verified Service history or ran a motorcheck or cartell report?

• Advertisement

It should have a trim badge there too shouldn't it?

Edit; there's one in mayo for €11250 that's the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

When your buying a new ford you can specify that you don't want any badges on the car. It might be that simple.

You should ask the dealer anyway, he's not likely to lie to you if its been damaged.

Most dealers will just say they don't know if it's been damaged.

Trim badge? Well I'm travelling to the garage tomorrow to get a look and a test drive. I think I'll ask them to provide me with a cartell report. To be honest the dealer seems legit and it's quite hard to hide things these days. Still has me thinking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

I took the badges off my boot for no other reason then i prefer the look without them. if you are going to spend a few grand on a car that you have a bad feeling about get it checked out by the aa or a similar independent service. If you believe it is an import i would pay particular attention to the millage, i read somewhere that a high percentage of imported british cars have been clocked. find out the original british reg a run a check on it for peace of mind.

• Advertisement

Trim badge = zetec, lx ghia on the right hand side

Ah sorry. I actually meant that in my original post. Didn't know it was called a trim badge. It never even occurred to me that the milage might be clocked. I'm definitely going to ask for the original UK plates. Thanks lookits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

No idea why, but when I look at that pic, I think rear-ended, repaired. I may be being overly cynical. Nice looking car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

44000 miles is low for a 4 year old diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I just looked at the advert on carzone. It's a UK import alright, the 2008 Irish Style model had plastic wheel trim rather than alloy wheels which are on that one, Irish model didn't have a/c either at the time. The speedo also has mph/kph on it. If it doesn't have a full verified service history or it's "missing" then assume the worst and walk away.

Another being sold here that doesn't have the badges on the right hand side either so it is not as rare as first thought:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=6513377647223670

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If its uk make sure it's registered there after July 08 or you're on cc based rate.

Did the bounce back to cover January 08 cars not cover imports too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

MugMugs wrote: »

That's what I understood too, that vehicles registered from Jan 1 - Jun 30th 2008 could elect for the lower of the two regimes: CO2 or CC-based.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    MugMugs wrote: »

That's what I understood too, that vehicles registered from Jan 1 - Jun 30th 2008 could elect for the lower of the two regimes: CO2 or CC-based.....
    No. As i found out last week. Only for new Irish regs before July now apparently. gonna tax for 3 months and see what happens at renewal

I know that previously another car that got the cheap tax that was regd before July in the UK. Tax office didn't know. Revenue weren't sure. Got through to a supervisor who said it would be cc based

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No. As i found out last week. Only for new Irish regs before July now apparently. gonna tax for 3 months and see what happens at renewal

I know that previously another car that got the cheap tax that was regd before July in the UK. Tax office didn't know. Revenue weren't sure. Got through to a supervisor who said it would be cc based

This must be a recent change so as my cousin imported a May 2008 A4 last year and it went on the Co2 system.

bazz26 wrote: »

This must be a recent change so as my cousin imported a May 2008 A4 last year and it went on the Co2 system.
    Taxed today, went to tax it for 3 months, lady said €60 odd. Happy days, taxed for the year for 225 or so. Was worried for a while. Bit miffed with the manager who told me it was the old system though

• Advertisement
Advertisement