Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odema/Ankle Swelling

Options
  • 21-06-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi

I'm not looking for medical advice; however I am looking for personal experiences on the above.

My story is basically I developed swelling on both of my ankles after a long journey (4hrs) which happened suddenly. This developed over four weeks ago now and still hasn't gone down.

I have had numerious visits to my GP to be told nothing is wrong with me; however I feel different, I do think that their is something sinister going on.

I suppose another point is that I am overweight; I currently weigh 22/23st & I am only 5ft 2; so I am aware that my weight would be putting pressure on my joints.

I guess my main question here is whether or not I should persue this further; I have had a scan and a blood test done (scan clear & one of blood tests slightly abnormal), and I still feel that something isn't quite right. I am just looking for opinions; anything would be good.

Also, I was just wondering in the short-term is there anything that I can do to bring the swelling down as I have been for the past number of weeks keeping my feet elevated and drinking plenty of fluids

PS I am trying to lose the weight; I just feel like I have hit a brick wall at the minute as I do not have the energy to do anything after I finish work in the evenings.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ i had Odema linked to Crohn's disease and the meds i was on, in general my experience is you need to get it sorted....or at least properly looked at as to why you have Odema. It could be many factors but the most common is a blood disorder or anemia of some sort.

In short get a second opinion besides your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Thyroid disorder can cause oedema, kidney problems can cause this... you need a full blood panel and get checked for endocrine disorders. You are right, you need to pursue this.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Would I be stupid to attend A&E? Even since the weekend, my ankle's & feet have got even bigger! I am reluctant to go back to my own GP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

candy19 wrote: »
    Would I be stupid to attend A&E? Even since the weekend, my ankle's & feet have got even bigger! I am reluctant to go back to my own GP

You wouldn't be stupid...you be bang on the money. But first go to your GP and get a note/letter to attand A&E. Tell him your concerned and would like a second/hosptial/A&E opinion.

You're better off to have a note as sometimes the A&E staff can get grumpy if you just turn up, once in A&E get seen by the doc and bloods etc. Tell him your history and conerns etc.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Plus, if you have a letter from the GP you won't get charged the 100 Euro A&E fee.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your reply...the only problem I have is that I do not have time to go back to my GP; I was thinking of going to A&E maybe tomorrow evening after work.

In one sence I dread all this hassle and on the other hand I do feel that something isn't right; like my feet and ankles are bigger today than they have been before and they are very painful to walk on

Do you know if you have a medical card will you be charged the €100 fee??

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Redmal

No charge if you have a Medical Card.

Are you wearing any support stockings or anything like that? Extremely unattractive but I find that when mine swell they seem to give me a bit of relief. Maybe worth a try if it eases the uncomfort for a bit anyway? I know it's been over 4 weeks but has anyone checked for blood clots?

I have had a blood test done for a clot, I was told that it was abnormal but I have nothing to worry about??

This is where I'm confused....

Advertisement