Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Caroline John

Options
  • 21-06-2012 8:41pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

:(
    She only played the 3rd Doctor's companion - Dr. Liz Shaw - for a few stories, but to me she was one of the best characters to accompany the Doc.

Her character was a talented scientist, level-headed & mature, and generally an equal to the Doctor. Which is probably why the BBC forced the producers to replace her with a brainless bimbo. Shaw was pretty unique stuff for TV in 1970.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18531461

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I watched her first story over my christmas break, made me smile knowing the history!

RIP.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I always liked Liz's character. Season 7 was one of the most intelligent seasons of the show in many ways and credit there is definitely due to letting Caroline John portray someone who actually understood the Doctor and helped him along. As opposed to giggling, making tea, and running around screaming. In fact it would be a fair while before the Doctor met someone closer to his intellectual equal again in Romana and later Nyssa.
    I believe there were politics involved leading to her departure (and a feeling it was Pertwee himself) but it's a real shame we didn't get to see more of her. I'd have liked to have had my last memory of her story something a bit more than the NA novel "Eternity Weeps".

Sadly that's nearly everyone from the Pertwee era gone now - Delgado (The Master), Caroline John (Liz), Elizabeth-Sladen (Sarah Jane), Nicholas Courtney (Lethbridge Stewart) and of course Pertwee himself. Sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sad to hear. Interestingly her last semi Who related piece of work was actually reading the audio book edition of Elisabeth Sladen's biography.
    The Pertwee era family is getting smaller and smaller every year now. :(
    Rest In Peace Caroline John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭ebbsy

ixoy wrote: »
    I always liked Liz's character. Season 7 was one of the most intelligent seasons of the show in many ways and credit there is definitely due to letting Caroline John portray someone who actually understood the Doctor and helped him along. As opposed to giggling, making tea, and running around screaming. In fact it would be a fair while before the Doctor met someone closer to his intellectual equal again in Romana and later Nyssa.
    I believe there were politics involved leading to her departure (and a feeling it was Pertwee himself) but it's a real shame we didn't get to see more of her. I'd have liked to have had my last memory of her story something a bit more than the NA novel "Eternity Weeps".

Sadly that's nearly everyone from the Pertwee era gone now - Delgado (The Master), Caroline John (Liz), Elizabeth-Sladen (Sarah Jane), Nicholas Courtney (Lethbridge Stewart) and of course Pertwee himself. Sad :(

RIP.

Thats some cast been assembled up above - and John Pertwee was a fantastic doctor.

Advertisement