Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Powder on bedroom walls and ceiling PHOTOS

Options
  • 21-06-2012 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

its the corner boxer bedroom on the front of the house is red brickwork and on the side i think its hollow block because we went to get the house cavity pumped with foam but the said it couldnt be done.

Recently this white powder has been showing up on the wall facing the outside of the house (gable wall) and on the ceiling of the bedroom.
    It wipes of an cleans up with a damp cloth but will appear back in seconds after drying out.

Anyone have any ideas what it is ,how to stop it or even if you have had it before ??

Photos down below
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Could it be mildew.Is it a cold room.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 keith4594

kneemos wrote: »
    Could it be mildew.Is it a cold room.

The room doesn't seem to be cold although the wall can feel a bit damp ??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

do you ever have condensation on you windows? is this particular to certain rooms?
    of the top of my head it may be a combination of efflorescence and mould caused by a cold internal surface (lack of insulation, external would be better than internal) and lack of ventilation (to reduce the humidity)

its been a damp reasonably mild summer so perhaps this has added to the problem..

BryanF wrote: »
    do you ever have condensation on you windows? is this particular to certain rooms?
    of the top of my head it may be a combination of efflorescence and mould caused by a cold internal surface (lack of insulation, external would be better than internal) and lack of ventilation (to reduce the humidity)

its been a damp reasonably mild summer so perhaps this has added to the problem..

No condensation and it's only in this room I had taught it was cold surface meeting a warm surface sort of causing mold external I think is the best option but it's quite expensive

You could try a dehumidifier for a spell.Also make sure the windows are left open,good air circulation can make a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

kneemos wrote: »
    You could try a dehumidifier for a spell.Also make sure the windows are left open,good air circulation can make a huge difference.
    seems like effervesense seeping out..were the walls painted quiet soon after the room was skimmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,870 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Where is the first pic?

Is it long since the walls have been painted?

Maudi wrote: »
    seems like effervesense seeping out..were the walls painted quiet soon after the room was skimmed?

no the walls were wallpapered until about 1 1/2 years ago then they were painted .
    muffler wrote: »
    Where is the first pic?

Is it long since the walls have been painted?

1 1/2 year ago

Thanks Keith. Which room and which part of the room in pic 1 is affected?

muffler wrote: »
    Thanks Keith. Which room and which part of the room in pic 1 is affected?

p1 is the same room as picture 2 its only in the boxer room in the top left hand of the house
    the front is block work and the side is hollow block the
    painted blue plaster board is the hollow block wall.
    but the wall on the block work also feels damp but no white powder

• Advertisement

Would pvc painted on the outside stop the moisture from entering.Have you checked behind the curtains op,they tend to hold moisture.

keith4594 wrote: »
    on the side i think its hollow block because we went to get the house cavity pumped with foam but the said it couldnt be done.
    keith4594 wrote: »
    and the side is hollow block the
    painted blue plaster board is the hollow block wall.
    I think that is possibly your problem - hollow block wall. I seen similar situations before and what appears to be happening is the dampness/moisture is traveling across the wall very slowly and is being dried on the inside leaving an effervescence like coating on the wall.

There are various sealers that can be applied but you really need someone to have a look at it to decide what's best.

Advertisement