Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Flannans take mature students?

Options
  • 21-06-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Wanting to do the Leaving Cert for the first time or is it for merely 18yo repeaters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Hi, I think it is aimed more at people who are 18, 19, 20 who want to repeat the leaving, as you have to wear uniform and what not. You can just sit your exam there if you want though and study yourself from home or get grinds. That's what I did when I went back and did maths even though I was 19, I didn't fancy being back in a school environment all year. There is an adult education centre in Ennis too where older people can do their leaving a friend of mine did it, that might suit you. Sorry I don't know where the place is or what the proper name of it is.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

They do accept mature students of any age, I have a friend going back to do that right now. The only issue is as was said above, you have to wear the uniform, even if yer thirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Hmm...English receptionist on the phone told me they don't take mature students. I'm just 20 as well and still said no, but the vice principal will give me a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭dasium

They definately take mature students, was at their parents open night for repeating last year and an example was given of a guy in he's late 20's repeating (2 yrs ago now).... so the receptionist was incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Sorry I don't know where the place is or what the proper name of it is.

Good luck!

The adult education center across from the entrance to Dunnes on Clon Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

Do you really want to go there? I would have thought that Rice College has overtaken Flannan's in terms of quality and security.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Silvics wrote: »
    Do you really want to go there? I would have thought that Rice College has overtaken Flannan's in terms of quality and security.

Rice College doesn't offer a repeat Leaving - unless it started doing so in very recent years. Traditionally, Rice College students needing a better Leaving repeated at St. Flannan's which, like, wasn't easy to face into but wasn't nearly as bad as most were led to expect! Sad to see Colm McDonagh is retiring as Principal of Flannan's. A good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KatieMM

Flannan's sure do take mature students, I was one of them a couple of years ago. I was 22, there were 3 of us that year in our 20s+. Was odd to get used to the uniform etc but I needed the structure of classes etc. Was great for me! Just have a good think about the subjects you'd want to do, put the head down and you'll have it done in no time. It's never too late! As other posters have said, there's other options in Ennis (Adult Ed etc), I found Flannan's great! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Turns out they only take REPEAT Leaving Certs, I was talking to the vice principal. :(

Advertisement