Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New school

Options
  • 21-06-2012 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,
    I'm new to boards so feel free to move to correct forum.

For reasons, to many to go into, we have to move house.
    This move coincides with my 17 year old daughter starting 6th year.

Moving house means she has to start 6th year in new school
    What do ye think, are we putting her in bad position for her leaving cert.... She is happy to move if it doesn't cause major upset to subjects/ parts of course already covered.

Really worried, she's a good student but we don't want to risk messing up her exams results.

What do ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

How far away are you moving? Does she really need to start a new school? Can she not use public transport to get there?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think that she will be fine once it is a good school with like minded people.
    If you could afford to somewhere like the institute of ed might be more suitable as they do the whole syllabus in 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tawneyowl

January wrote: »
    How far away are you moving? Does she really need to start a new school? Can she not use public transport to get there?

Public transport not an option, she would have to travel into city, about an hour and out for another. Some bullying going on also so moving school would sort that.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I think that she will be fine once it is a good school with like minded people.
    If you could afford to somewhere like the institute of ed might be more suitable as they do the whole syllabus in 6th year.

Yes it's a good school, waiting for the principal to get back to me. Fee paying sch not an option, funds low hence the move. Wish we could leave her as is but not looking likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Tawneyowl wrote: »
    Hi all,

What do ye think, are we putting her in bad position for her leaving cert.... She is happy to move if it doesn't cause major upset to subjects/ parts of course already covered.

Really worried, she's a good student but we don't want to risk messing up her exams results.

What do ye think?
    The main thing I can think of is English as different schools may do different texts but depending on her subjects there may be others as well.

• Advertisement

Tawneyowl wrote: »
    Hi all,

What do ye think?
    The main thing I can think of is English as different schools may do different texts but depending on her subjects there may be others as well.

Hi, she's not doing anything out of the norm as far as subjects go. But I think when I get to meet with principal il have list of questions.
    Think il feel better if we know the problems she might face before ,rather than when they hit us!
    Thanks all for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

arr had a reply typed already and lost it ... anyway here goes again...

i'd get her to write out a detailed list of what she has done to date and if possible get her summer tests from the old school - this will show her new teacher what she has done, and her standard.

meet with the year head and get advise as to how best to proceed re catching up on work she may have missed out on - e.g. one topic per subject per week? and set a date for a review meeting maybe mid oct.
    the more pro-active you are the better...
    and no matter how good she is, she will need help and support but once the new teachers know she is willing to work they should be more than happy to help out --- she may need to remind one or two to help her out though as there is often so much going on that teachers sometimes forget the new student needs to catch up on a topic covered last year....

it certaintly is do-able and with a bit of work she won't be long catching up.
    best of luck with the move :)

Great advice happywithlife, going to contact school Monday before everyone finishes for summer, get a plan in place. Think she would feel better if she knew exactly what she needs to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

If she's doing HL English (or even OL), it'd be vital that you find out what the comparative texts are in her new school and get her reading/watching any that she hasn't covered. That way, she won't have to cope with finding herself lost in that subject.

She is doing HL English, geog, history, chemistry and biology.OL Maths and Irish. No other language. She wants to do midwifry or nursing, hopefully in UCD or Trinity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

The main thing is that you are removing her from an environment that condones bullying, as you already said that your daughter doesn’t have any problem moving to another school which would suggest that she is glad to see the back of her old school, perhaps she will thrive in a new school, best of luck with the move.

Yes, that's true. The main bullying has stopped but she is not part of the "crowd" anymore, and she feels the exclusion a lot. Even if she knows no one in the new school it's not the same as feeling excluded by those she does know. Contacted the school again, secretary is sending me out forms and information but still waiting for principal to contact me to arrange a meeting... So no move as yet. Why do things take so long to arrange, maybe I'm just impatient, need to know we're I stand and start dealing with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Good luck!
    Sure if it does affect her in the Leaving, there is always the year after anyway :)

Advertisement