Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do You Guys Get Battlefield 3 Working?

Options
  • 21-06-2012 5:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭

I've just switched from XB to PC and saying I'm having a frustrating time is quite the understatement of the century. To be honest, it's raping my computer because I have to turn it off incorrectly and it's causing more hassle than it's worth because of the critical error messages.

I've tried absolutely everything and then some...I know a lot of people had some serious issues playing it but I thought all those bugs had been ironed out. My comp is only out of the box so it's not that I don't have the system requirements. I've tried updating everything - graphics card drivers, repaired installed from origin, all the updates and patches, completely uninstalled Norton Security from my computer in case that was causing any problems. And still, nothing...

It says in Battlelog "joining server" but that's how far as it goes...it can be joining server for hours. Nothing happens. And that's if I'm lucky...most of the times, the whole computer freezes and I have to shut it off from the wall. What in the world is going on? If anybody can shine some light onto this I'll come to your house and suck you off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

usual question whats your specs?

also have you got a separate firewall running other than norton (also don't reinstall norton its terrible!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

Intel Core i5 3570k 3.40ghz
    8GB RAM
    64-bit Windows 7 (if this makes a difference)
    GPU: AMD 6870

I don't think I have another firewall. I went into it earlier and it says that it allows BF3 to go through without interfering.

hmmmm pretty much the same specs anyway...

can you play single player?

if it still won't let you set Origin to offline, and try single player again.

that way you should be able to tell if its a connection problem or computer related

I really wouldn't mind just getting my money back at this stage now and running for the hills. I uninstalled BF3 and Origin and now when I try to download BF3 again it says I need a newer version of Windows to download. But sure I was using Windows 7...so I upgraded to Windows 8 and it's asking me for a newer version still...this origin/battlelog sh!te is totally broke.

could you get single player working?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,070 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

First off, don't use the origin version that comes with BF3. Get the current client from store.origin.com and install that first. Then install BF3, and let it update. Don't forget to update DirectX too.

Oh also have you got any gamer profiles on your graphics card?

Mine came with ASUS OSD or something like that, It crashed every game that needed steam and origin because of the different profiles or something

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mick-fitz8585

Hi m8 if you need help il help you get your game working.

You can get me on a chat program called xfire

Download xfire and add me my xfire name is mickfitz

Il help you sort out bf3.

danniemcq wrote: »
    could you get single player working?

Oh also have you got any gamer profiles on your graphics card?

Mine came with ASUS OSD or something like that, It crashed every game that needed steam and origin because of the different profiles or something

I'm afraid not. All it says is "initializing..." and then thats it, my comp either crashes or does nothing.
    Hi m8 if you need help il help you get your game working.

You can get me on a chat program called xfire

Download xfire and add me my xfire name is mickfitz

Il help you sort out bf3.

Will do. Thank you.
    Spear wrote: »
    First off, don't use the origin version that comes with BF3. Get the current client from store.origin.com and install that first. Then install BF3, and let it update. Don't forget to update DirectX too.

I have done everything. There is something on my comp that is prohibiting BF3 from launching. I get the screen "Battlefield 3 is Launching" but something is closing it down as bf3.exe*32 disappears from the task manager. I thought this was Norton Anti-Virus making a right nuisance of itself but now that thats gone, I'm still having difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

is it a Russian copy?

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    is it a Russian copy?

No, it's the real deal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Do other games work? Is your system sound, apart from BF3?

5uspect wrote: »
    Do other games work? Is your system sound, apart from BF3?

Yup, BF3 is the only one not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mick-fitz8585

Il be on xfire from about 7 onwards if ur around il help see what the problem mite be

It's hardly using the intel GPU by any chance?

I got it working, guys thanks for the help. :)

what was the issue?

or more importantly, what was the fix?

what was the issue?

or more importantly, what was the fix?

Well to be honest, it launches whenever it feels like it but at least I've played it for an hour...that's something, right?! :o

Tried it again this morning and still getting shut out. I'm not great with computers but whenever it starts, it seems like something else is stopping it from launching - that UNC blue and yellow shield appears on the Origin logo in the bottom bar and then it disappears so I'm guessing that is stopping BF from starting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,853 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

have you checked your firewall?

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    have you checked your firewall?

I did indeed, same story.

Nice links, I'll follow closely.

One thing - when I turn on my comp first there are only a handful of processes at work in the task manager. As soon as I launch BF3, the processes increase instantaneously to 3,000 - no wonder my comp is crashing. What in the world is this? And what the heck is sending my comp nuts?

What processes are they? post a screen shot of the processes tab in taskmanager.

Finally got this working on a consistant basis.

Would you believe it was the browser. I couldn't launch a game from BattleLog in Firefox or Chrome; I even tried Maxthon. I instantly uninstalled IE as soon as I got my comp because I despise it with a vengence. But this seems to do the trick. I downloaded IE9 64-bit version and all is sound as a pound, ay?! :D:p:pac:

Thanks for the help, guys.

One last thing - I had BF3 on Xbox and let me just say, wow....MASSIVE DIFFERENCE. To be honest I haven't even played yet, I've been so distracted by all the beautiful colours and 64 people legging it around...it's just....unbelievable. Now I know what all the fuss is about. COD is dead to me. Long live PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

See you on craggy tonight then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

how did you uninstall IE?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Uninstall programs and select windows components, you don't actually delete it; just any link to it. Also ever since they lost that court case it's meant to pop up and ask you do you want to use another browser and uninstall it.

Advertisement