Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Roche on Cycling Ireland

Options
  • 21-06-2012 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

what should Cycling Ireland do to today to build for tomorrow? Roche is blunt in what the first step should be:

"Clean the office first. That’s a beautiful office but it’s badly maintained. The first thing you see when you go into Cycling Ireland’s headquarters is the state of the office. You don’t have to ask yourself any questions about the state of the federation when you see that.”

http://cyclismas.com/2012/06/stephen-roche-the-interview-part-1/

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

He really picks the most bizarre topics to rant about.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

good stuff fmk, looking forward to part 2....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheFredJ

He really picks the most bizarre topics to rant about.

Think laterally a moment here. Consider what he says abot the office in Kelly-Roche House. Consider what he says about jerseys. Consider the link. Image. Image has always been important to Roche. As a rider, he often criticised other riders for not presenting the right image. That he still thinks image is important is hardly a suprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Tidy Desk, tidy mind.

My desk is a cesspool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Should we just have a Roche watch thread at this stage? :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

When I was working (now retired) we got a new managing director. One of the first things he did was sort out housekeeping. Everyone had to leave a clean desk every evening when leaving. The same for the factory floor. Then he started on the practices / procedures.

Our unit had a meeting with him. He had notes on what we had agreed to bring to the meeting. In the first few minutes he simply asked each of us had we the agreed information. On person said he was preparing it and would have it in shape for the next meeting. The meeting ended and we were shown the door.
    I agree with Roche on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

ah stephen stephen stephen.....

The office is the office, a storehouse, a garage etc. Unfortunately we dont have room to keep the wattbikes, gear,nutrition, spares, publications, numbers, etc in a secure area. We had 2 break-ins last year when the robbers robbed a box of rice crispy squares and nothing else thankfully. its quite secure now but its a constant battle.

He is right I would prefer the bottom floor to be all georgian-ed up with a lovely reception area etc. but its not practical at the moment.

He probably doesnt know about the dev stuff that we have implemented in last while but I am sure he would approve. And lastly. I think you will see a bunch of Irish pros in the future something like the guys from Denmark because we now have the numbers that are racing at youth level. Well I am hoping but we will try to do our best to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

well.. roche is kinda right.. mass respect to all in cycling ireland but i usually renew my licence by calling into the good folk in Kelly house and the place is usually in bits and full of cycling clutter..

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

Then again Rochey does love an auld rant...
    Tomred13 wrote: »
    well.. roche is kinda right.. mass respect to all in cycling ireland but i usually renew my licence by calling into the good folk in Kelly house and the place is usually in bits and full of cycling clutter..

Tomred13 wrote: »

i agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

morana wrote: »
    ......And lastly. I think you will see a bunch of Irish pros in the future something like the guys from Denmark because we now have the numbers that are racing at youth level. Well I am hoping but we will try to do our best to make it happen.

Spot on. Great work being done by CI and some of the clubs at underage level. I'm biased towards the U14s at the moment but if these lads can be kept in the sport the future is bright. Maybe Stephen needs to go to a few underage races!
    (while Morana runs the hoover over the office!)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

I've been a process auditor for 15 years, the state in which the premises is kept is normally a fair reflection of the overall organisation.

Etc wrote: »
    I've been a process auditor for 15 years, the state in which the premises is kept is normally a fair reflection of the overall organisation.

i disagree.

See my reasons above, its nothing to do with processes more to do with physical space. Just a note to say a cleaner cleans the office on a weekly basis.

I also want to point out that I dont just jump to the defence of ci when somebody presents a less than ideal view of the organisation. As I have said if somebody has a valid opinion I have no problem with it. I just like to try and give the reasons why it is so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

If there is extra cash to be spent I'd prefer to see it used on a lot more things before redecoration!

RobFowl wrote: »
    If there is extra cash to be spent I'd prefer to see it used on a lot more things before redecoration!

yeah like holidays and perks for board members!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Was thinking more of sponsored cars for CI Doc's....

Ah c'mon, you've got the 'lympics coming up, what are ye complaining abt? Must be enough in the petty cash tin to cover the whole Board on Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Is that you again, Stephen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭C3PO

On an individual level I've always found CI employees (I use that term loosely because I know quite a few of them do huge amounts of work for nothing!) to be really decent, helpful people but I'm afraid the state of the office reflects the organisation! The annual licence fiasco, while improving, is still a mess but the inability to answer phone calls or respond to emails in a timely manner is simply not acceptable! I know that funds are tight but CI clearly need additional staff in the office admin area!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Have they not heard of 5S or SixSigma or the 7WondersOfTheWorld ? :pac:

/from someone who has had 5S & SixSigma beaten into them for years ;)

• Advertisement

C3PO wrote: »
    On an individual level I've always found CI employees (I use that term loosely because I know quite a few of them do huge amounts of work for nothing!) to be really decent, helpful people but I'm afraid the state of the office reflects the organisation! The annual licence fiasco, while improving, is still a mess but the inability to answer phone calls or respond to emails in a timely manner is simply not acceptable! I know that funds are tight but CI clearly need additional staff in the office admin area!

I am not sure there was a fiasco this year......but I take your point. We have not been in a position to answer calls the way would like and its purely the amount of work.

and look I am here 247...anybody who has asked has been answered.

Have they not heard of 5S or SixSigma or the 7WondersOfTheWorld ? :pac:

/from someone who has had 5S & SixSigma beaten into them for years ;)

I think they are more into DuranDuran in the office though the girls likes tupac as well...

and look I am here 247...anybody who has asked has been answered.

What is the meaning of life ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What is the meaning of life ?

Cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Fiasco is going a bit far. I had the fiasco of applying to renew my licence online and it arriving in the post with my back numbers before the first open race of the season. I then had the fiasco of sending them an e-mail when I got the points to upgrade and them sending out my new licence and numbers in the same week. Most recently I had the fiasco of them ringing me to ensure I had 'VET' on my licence so that I wouldn't have trouble at sign on for the national championships (they would have done a quick reprint if not).

So what was the first thing ordered online this morning from Kelly-Roche Hse - a stopwatch or a Hoover? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

TheFredJ wrote: »
    So what was the first thing ordered online this morning from Kelly-Roche Hse - a stopwatch or a Hoover? :)

FYP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

TheFredJ wrote: »

A big sign saying "STFU and leave us alone you saps who have nothing better to do than moan about anything. YES, we are including you in that Stephen! PS: Here's your name back off the front of the building. It's not worth much anymore anyway."

Or something to that effect would be my guess :p

Edit: Morrisseeee beat me to the last bit!

Raam wrote: »
    Cycling.

I would have thought the answer was 410.....

• Advertisement

I would have thought the answer was 410.....

53x12

Advertisement