Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go with complaint about piercing studio?

Options
  • 21-06-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I don't want to go into details, but is there anywhere you can complain about the state/treatment of tattoo/piercing studios ?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Suppose the HSE, but seeing that it's not a well regulated industry....nowhere really!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

chin_grin wrote: »
    Suppose the HSE, but seeing that it's not a well regulated industry....nowhere really!

Not regulated at all sadly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 carlarua

So, for example, if there's a serious infection and something like septicemia as a direct result of unhygienic practices, nothing can be done and the person doing the piercing can not be held responsible ?
    I know that customers can vote with their feet, but sometimes, signs of not very good practice aren't clear straight away, or people are too shy to say something or if they're tattoo/piercing virgins, don't even realize something is wrong

That's shocking...
    Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Environmental Health Officer in the HSE but there needs to be a specific complaint about a danger to public health.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Environmental_Health/Tattooing_and_Body_Piercing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Joe Duffy of course!

• Advertisement

carlarua wrote: »
    So, for example, if there's a serious infection and something like septicemia as a direct result of unhygienic practices, nothing can be done and the person doing the piercing can not be held responsible ?
    I know that customers can vote with their feet, but sometimes, signs of not very good practice aren't clear straight away, or people are too shy to say something or if they're tattoo/piercing virgins, don't even realize something is wrong

That's shocking...
    Thanks for the advice

These things, like food poisoning, are very difficult to prove without samples. Infections can be a result of unhygienic practices, but these could either be with the initial piercing, or with the aftercare. And to be perfectly honest, the majority of times, they're caused by the aftercare (or lack thereof).

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

These things, like food poisoning, are very difficult to prove without samples. Infections can be a result of unhygienic practices, but these could either be with the initial piercing, or with the aftercare. And to be perfectly honest, the majority of times, they're caused by the aftercare (or lack thereof).[/QUOT

Link please ..or are you just guessing..guessing is perfectly honest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

why would he need a link?? people still believe that tattoos and piercings give hiv every day ffs

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Link please ..or are you just guessing..guessing is perfectly honest too.
    It's a generalisation. And well known by anyone that spends enough time in forums such as this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 carlarua

I agree re the aftercare, very often people don't give a toss, think it'll heal itself and do some pretty silly things that you should know that are bad for you if you have half an ounce of common sense.
    Or, one case I know off, have a tattoo on their foot, and go to work in a hospital in open slippers - all against the advice of the guy who did the tattoo - and catch a flesh eating bug.

I meant the state of a studio, lack of hygiene, lack of information and aftercare.
    If this would be a restaurant, it wouldn't have customers because people know that a place like that needs to be clean.
    The same goes for a gp practice, or a hospital.
    It's amazing that there's no such rules for places that basically make open wounds, but I think we all agree on that.

thanks Phoenix Parker for the link

• Advertisement
Advertisement