Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merc 280 W116 - Opinions

Options
  • 21-06-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

Well lads,

Myself and my Dad are thinking of picking up an old Merc.

I had a quick look at this one yesterday.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/280/2.8-Auto/813268761589730/advert?channel=CARS

I didn't get to drive it or hear it running as the battery was dead. Overall it seemed exceptionally well kept. No obvious signs of rust. Interior immaculate.

Any opinions on this model of Merc appreciated. Also any opinions on the car in question and the sellers more than appreciated.

I spoke to them briefly about the price. It appears they are selling it on behalf of a private chap. He reckons it would sell for approx €4,600. Our budget is kind of maxed at €4k.

Whats the general worth of these cars? I know they appeal to a very small market, so it's hard to put a value on them.

Any advise really appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Its very hard to get one that qualifies for the over 30 y/old cheap tax so your efectively getting a big tax break every year @52 euro, later ones go cheaper but high annual tax.

There begining to make big bucks across the water too, at this rate it'll be going across too because its worth a lot more in the uk.

Here one for 6 k sterling http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C293059

2695841.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Bigus wrote: »
    Its very hard to get one that qualifies for the over 30 y/old cheap tax so your efectively getting a big tax break every year @52 euro, later ones go cheaper but high annual tax.

There begining to make big bucks across the water too, at this rate it'll be going across too because its worth a lot more in the uk.

Here one for 6 k sterling http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C293059

2695841.jpg

Ya, the cheap tax is a big plus.

Anything in particular to look out for on this model that you are aware of?

The one you linked looks class. The white really suits it.!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

Look for rust. Search for buyers guides for the W126 (not w116) and you should find loads of info.

They still drive well bu modern standards. Best thing you can do is actually drive that car to decide if it's for you.

8~) wrote: »
    Look for rust. Search for buyers guides for the W126 (not w116) and you should find loads of info.

They still drive well bu modern standards. Best thing you can do is actually drive that car to decide if it's for you.

Cheers.

Ya, I'm hoping to get out with my old man next week for a more forensic examination and drive.!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

Buying guide, extremely brief...

Mechanically it should be smooth in every way.
    Rust can be anywhere but gotcha spots are under the rear windscreen (get into the boot and look up), under the front screen (wet carpets!), sills, around the suspension turrets in the front arches. Cosmetically the front wings rust, as does the bumper chrome.

Check the door rubber seals and don't underestimate the cost of replacement it they are perished. Ditto rusty chrome bumper inserts.

Interior should show little or no sign of wear.

• Advertisement

Excellent. Fair play.

I am a little concerned by the fact that it has crome over the wheel arches. I am pretty sure these are not factory fitted and am led to believe they can do more damage than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Firstly it's a W126, not a W116 as the thread title says. ;)

I had a few of them and drove them to Africa, the 280 is, IMO a fine motor for the car, not anywhere near as fast as the V8's but wayyyy more economical. They are generally an excellent car and for refinement can keep up with most cars built today.

They can be picked up a lot cheaper than the one you mentioned, it's newly imported and the battery is dead which means someone isn't spending cash on it, which would make me very wary of paying that kind of money for them.

The description by 8~) is good, make sure the auto is very smooth if buying one and that all diffs, sumps etc are dry. The chrome strips are not original though a very common after market add on and they do collect moisture and hide rust over the years.

If you are prepared to pay €4,000 then you might consider looking at a post 85 300SE, slightly better cars, tend to have good spec as well. Although you'll be paying well over €1000 per annum in road tax alone you'll save this on depreciation and insurance against a newer car.

The W126 has probably bottomed out price wise and may be rising if it's in top condition, prices for the W126 Coupe are definitely on the up.

bijapos wrote: »
    Firstly it's a W126, not a W116 as the thread title says. ;)

I had a few of them and drove them to Africa, the 280 is, IMO a fine motor for the car, not anywhere near as fast as the V8's but wayyyy more economical. They are generally an excellent car and for refinement can keep up with most cars built today.

They can be picked up a lot cheaper than the one you mentioned, it's newly imported and the battery is dead which means someone isn't spending cash on it, which would make me very wary of paying that kind of money for them.

The description by 8~) is good, make sure the auto is very smooth if buying one and that all diffs, sumps etc are dry. The chrome strips are not original though a very common after market add on and they do collect moisture and hide rust over the years.

If you are prepared to pay €4,000 then you might consider looking at a post 85 300SE, slightly better cars, tend to have good spec as well. Although you'll be paying well over €1000 per annum in road tax alone you'll save this on depreciation and insurance against a newer car.

The W126 has probably bottomed out price wise and may be rising if it's in top condition, prices for the W126 Coupe are definitely on the up.

Novice mistake. The only model I definately know is my username..!

Thanks for your input. Really appreciate it. I think the reason the battery is dead is coz it's parked up in Belgard auction house for quite some time.

There is a few lovely old motors up there btw, gathering serious amounts of dust. There is a Triumph Dolomite on original Irish plates. Not to everyones taste admitadely, buts its real clean. (My GF sat into it and thought it was lovely.!) The guy told me it didn't sell as the seller was unrealistic with his price. Just sitting there now under a pile of dust.
    Couple of other Mercs too. Nice '93 190. Few older Jags.

Anyway I'm rambling.!

I'd love a post 85 300SE, but there is no way I'll convince the old man on this. He is blinkered on the cheap tax. No roon for negotiation. He was running two (2) 2.0l's up until last month and is done with paying big tax.!

TBF, it's his 70th next year which is half the reason I am persuing this, just reckon it'd be nice to enjoy something like this together. So I'm not battling too much on the tax front. (Also quite happy not to have the annual bill.!)

Anyway, I'll be sure to look out for all the things you mentioned.
    Thanks again for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I wouldn't! Agree that the later w126 are better,

if anything the opposite is true because later Mercs switched to more environmentally friendly paint.

This later paint means the later ones suffer rot rust and corrosion more than the earlier one's plus they have more electronics to go wrong. The later model had smooth plastic lower door trims against ribbed on the earlier versions.

Also earlier cars of any make or model tend to be the one's that are sought after in the long run rather then face lift one's which don't have the look as the ðesigner intended them.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the input lads. It was a great help.

My Dad is coming to Dublin next week to have a look at it.

I'll keep ye updated.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

TBF, it's his 70th next year which is half the reason I am persuing this, just reckon it'd be nice to enjoy something like this together. So I'm not battling too much on the tax front. (Also quite happy not to have the annual bill.!)

VERY important to connect with your parents in their later years no matter how much 'trouble' it is - had the 'pleasure' of my Mother's vast knowledge in her final years - she lasted to 94.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Dnt't forget, it will need an NCT, if you purchase make sure it's tested

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭WDB123

Why not a W123 ?????????????????????????????????????

WDB123 wrote: »

No reason really.

Not much out there at the moment, and liked the look of the W126 I linked above. Definitely interested if the right one came up.

WDB123 wrote: »

A W123 280E would be nice, but a W126 500SE would be better :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Capri wrote: »
    A W123 280E would be nice, but a W126 500SE would be better :P
    Much better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

I think thats a W108 in the article. The W116 top of the line came with the 6.9. (badged 450SEL 6.9) Essentially the same engine (M100) but rebored a bit more.

And dry sumped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

Anan1 wrote: »
    And dry sumped.
    yeah, oil into the wing where the window washer bottle used to be!

SilverBell wrote: »
    yeah, oil into the wing where the window washer bottle used to be!
    Lots of oil - think it took 12 litres!

Post in haste.... repent later :o OF COURSE it's a W108, posted before I'd eaten so brain not firing on all 8 :o

My 4.3 sump takes about 7 litres to fill so can imagine :(

W108 'in Ireland on UK plates' http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C314082

Post in haste.... repent later :o OF COURSE it's a W108, posted before I'd eaten so brain not firing on all 8 :o

My 4.3 sump takes about 7 litres to fill so can imagine :(

W108 'in Ireland on UK plates' http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C314082
    I think somebody's trying to make a large profit on that one. Have a look at these two, belonging to Martin Buckley:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C304403

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C304480

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

I have two W126 300SE's and both are the later versions. A 280 engine is far too revvy for a relaxed cruiser such as the 126 so try and go for the 300 inline 6. Pre '85 cars are not as good as the later ones but as you say the road tax is a key factor to owing one of these cars. I tax mine for 3 months of the year each and store them during the winter months.
    I drove to the South of France and toured all over there and nipped into Italy and then home via Austria last year and the ar got admiring glances everywhere it went. I could have sold it twice as well!

There are dozens of really good W123 cars about both in manual and auto and I intend to get one next year as from 82 to 85 the best ones were made.

Advertisement