Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civic Reception For Minister Michael Noonan

Options
  • 21-06-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Civic Reception For Minister Michael Noonan

Limerick County Council will host a Civic Reception for Minister for Finance Michael Noonan in recognition of his achievements and his contribution to local and national politics. The ceremony will take place at Limerick County Hall, Dooradoyle, Co Limerick on Monday 25th June 2012 at 4:00 PM.

Michael Noonan was elected to Limerick County Council at the Local Elections in 1974 and served as a Member for the Bruff Electoral Area until October 1983, having being re-elected at the Local Elections in 1979. He resigned in October 1983 following his appointment as Minister for Justice. Mr. Noonan was again elected to the Council as a Member for the Bruff Electoral Area at the Local Elections in 1991. He ceased to be a Member of the Council on his appointment as Minister for Health in December 1994.

Members of the media are invited to attend. Interview and photograph opportunities will be provided.

Why?, what has this man achieved?
    Who came up with this brilliant idea?
    Who authorised it?
    What is it costing?
    Who is paying for it?

Have they nothing better to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

What an absolute joke.

Wasn't he behind the decision to close Barrington's Hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

L.T.P. wrote: »
    What an absolute joke.

No, the honour for that goes to FF, who will forget Willie O'Dea's stout campaign opposing the closure, when push came to shove, as usual, he voted with the party, party first, constituents second.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Daidy2011

Oh sweet Jesus - just another example of the "boys looking after the boys (or girls for that matter)"

I thought all our local Governments were broke - hence the reason for the household charge that is/was supposed to go directly to them to cover their budget shortfalls from central Government.

Is it any wonder they have budget shortfalls when they are spending taxpayers money on these navel gazing exercises. :mad:

I can't speak for local politics (I don't live in Limerick) but his national record leaves a lot to be desired, first as Minister for Health and now as Minister for Finance.

The money would be better spent on giving him German lessons so he can better understand the orders given to him by his glourious leader - Frau Merkel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

jbkenn wrote: »
    Who authorised it?
    What is it costing?
    Who is paying for it?

FWIW to answer your questions

Achievements - Listed in the article you posted, if you bothered to read it, various ministries, long time public servant ec.

Who came up with the idea - Limerick county council, if you read the article you posted
    Who authorised it - Limerick county council, if you read the article you posted
    What is it costing - Very little I would think, I assume there would be a few teas, coffess and biscuits.
    Who is paying for it - Limerick city council I suppose would provide the teabags and use cups from the canteen.

Have they nothing better to do - Have you nothing better to do than be moaning about it?

Now if they booked a hotel and paid for a gala dinner for 200 people that would be a different matter, but what I can see they just marking nearly 40 years of public service with a cheap function.

Daidy2011 wrote: »
    I can't speak for local politics (I don't live in Limerick) but his national record leaves a lot to be desired, first as Minister for Health and now as Minister for Finance.
    Nothing much to shout about at local level either, just another time served jobsworth local councillor.

• Advertisement

What an absolute joke.

FF closed Barringtons, do you still think its an absolute joke, why comment negatively on somebody when clearly don't seem to know what they did or didn't do?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

So I was wrong about Barringtons, I guess that "Honour" goes to Willie O'Dea and FF.

Yes I do still think its an absolute joke. I think our representatives on a national level have failed Limerick miserably while being paid hansomely to supposedly represent our best interests.

FWIW to answer your questions

Achievements - Listed in the article you posted, if you bothered to read it, various ministries, long time public servant ec.
    I still ask the question, what has he achieved?, other than survive 38 years in local/national politics.
    Who came up with the idea - Limerick county council, if you read the article you posted
    My information is it has to be a unanimous decision of the councillors
    Some official had to authorise the expenditure.
    What is it costing - Very little I would think, I assume there would be a few teas, coffess and biscuits.
    You reckon, you obviously missed out on former City Managers retirement bash.
    Who is paying for it - Limerick city council I suppose would provide the teabags and use cups from the canteen.
    You reckon.
    Have they nothing better to do - Have you nothing better to do than be moaning about it?
    Indeed I have, but the day LCC hit you with a rates demand for €40k, it might focus you mind on what exactly they spend your money on
    Now if they booked a hotel and paid for a gala dinner for 200 people that would be a different matter, but what I can see they just marking nearly 40 years of public service with a cheap function.
    If they organised and paid for this nonsense out of their own pockets I would have no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Who authorised it?
    What is it costing?
    Who is paying for it?

Happens all over the country, it's sickening.

All the borough and county councils have these junkets, a big joke.

Wexford Borough Council had once a few years back for that eejit Dick Roche, why?, because he was born in the town, even though he hasn't lived in County Wexford for decades, free booze and food for the night for a rake of invited guests - absolute waste of public money. Grrs

I still ask the question, what has he achieved?, other than survive 38 years in local/national politics.

My information is it has to be a unanimous decision of the councillors

Some official had to authorise the expenditure.
    You reckon, you obviously missed out on former City Managers retirement bash.
    You reckon.

Indeed I have, but the day LCC hit you with a rates demand for €40k, it might focus you mind on what exactly they spend your money on

If they organised and paid for this nonsense out of their own pockets I would have no problem with it.

I am assuming the expenses would be minimal, in which case I would have no problem with it, but if there is loads of beer and wine and food at our expense then thats a different matter and I would be entirely against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

So I was wrong about Barringtons, I guess that "Honour" goes to Willie O'Dea and FF.

Yes I do still think its an absolute joke. I think our representatives on a national level have failed Limerick miserably while being paid hansomely to supposedly represent our best interests.

Wrong again. I'm no supporter of Willie O'Dea but maybe you should get your facts straight before you go spouting off in public.
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/putting-the-people-before-the-party-comes-at-a-price-2817622.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,097 ✭✭✭✭phog

I cannont understand why should a public representative get a civic reception, the mind boggles.

phog wrote: »
    I cannont understand why should a public representative get a civic reception, the mind boggles.

I agree, when the Queen came to Ireland they should have fcuked her off to Supermacs if she was hungry.:p

I agree, when the Queen came to Ireland they should have fcuked her off to Supermacs if she was hungry.:p
    ???, get a life, should we have fcuked President Obama off to McDonalds or Burger King?. I would have thought as a nation we would have moved way befond this nonsense by now, perhaps not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Michael Noonan, for all his ability, is a gombeen politician in many ways. He is more naturally Fianna Fáil than Fine Gael. Over the years he has built up a network of knuckle-dragging, sycophantic cronies at local level who will never oppose him or challenge him. The Fine Gael membership of the city and county councils is testament to that. Now they're honouring him with a civic reception. Remember that Noonan steadfastly stood against the boundary extension and reform of local government and that is the single greatest reason why Limerick and the region is in the state it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Google Michael Noonan Brigid McCole

The link (pasted below) gives a brief summary, what Michael Noonan decided to, in my opinion, needlessly, callously, cruelly and wrongly put that poor woman and her family through was and still is utterly, utterly sickening, it was and remains the worst kind of menacing, cowardly bullying and should never be forgotten or forgiven.

In my opinion Noonan is without a moral compass or a sense of justice or compassion - It really is absurd that he 'accidentally' came back into power over our lives, in a comedy of errors via the collapse of Fianna Fail and subsequent 'hobsons choice' turn to Fine Gael. We now have him as our Minister for Finance and I can scarcely think of person I'd trust less with our children's future as he liaises with the EU, ie. Germany and we find out later through accidental leaks.

- This man and his current legion of hangers-on should never be allowed attend a public event without being reminded of the blood he still has on his hands, by rights there should be protesters with placards there as the fools running our city squeeze their fat little frames into their tuxedos for yet another night of back slapping and champagne quaffing.

Brigid McCole

In February 1994, the Blood Transfusion Service Board (BTSB) announced that anti D, a blood product given to some women after giving birth, had been contaminated with the Hepatitis C virus. It was the beginning of one of the worst scandals in the history of the State, one in which hundreds of women were infected through the extraordinary negligence of a State agency. The authorities were reluctant to give the women full information and an expert group report left many questions unanswered. Brigid McCole, a member of the campaigning group Positive Action, took a High Court case against the State with the intention of forcing full disclosure. She was already very ill and died in October 1996 before her case could be heard. The minister for health, Michael Noonan, who approved the State's plan of fighting McCole all the way, told the Dáil that her legal team might have picked a better candidate for a test case. The State's opposition to McCole had been particularly cruel. It completely denied negligence, even though it knew very well that the BTSB had been negligent to the point of recklessness. It even insisted that McCole not be allowed to take her case anonymously in order to preserve her privacy. And it made a lodgement in court that meant that McCole would face massive legal bills if she did not get large compensation. Even as she was dying, McCole was warned that her family would be pursued for these costs.

McCole persisted in the face of this onslaught and her courage had two effects. Her case forced the BTSB to disclose a previously hidden file that showed that it had known about the contamination as far back as 1977. And public outrage at her treatment forced the State to establish a public tribunal of inquiry and a statutory compensation scheme. In 2002, Michael Noonan, then leader of Fine Gael, told his party ardfheis that he deeply regretted his handling of McCole's case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Well he was influential that we have possibly one of the best hospitals on our door step!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Mc Love wrote: »
    Well he was influential that we have possibly one of the best hospitals on our door step!

Are you JOKING??? Look at all the HSE Reports regarding the Regional.

The staff are wonderful - don't get me wrong. They do a fabulous job in very difficult circumstances. But the lack of cleaning and the delays are unreal. These are all due to financial cutbacks and poor decision making.

A close family member picked up MRSA in the Regional. Another family member had to be rushed to a hospital in a different county recently because the section dealing with the suspected life threatening illness they had was closed for the afternoon. (Thankfully several days stay and lots of scans showed that things weren't nearly as serious as initially thought).

And don't even start me on the maternity....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Its definitely the best one to wait just inside the front door of for 7-9 hours as it deals with all of Munster!

- Noonan is a political Zombie - I'd say even he can't believe he lucked his way back into our lives, and I've a feeling the blood scandal won't be his last given the tinkering he is being left ar$e around with under our States economic bonnet.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭touts

The Limerick County Council giving Minister Noonan a civic reception is just a matter of self preservation. Its old fashioned Irish gombeen politics. The County Councilors are worried that local government reform might see them lose some of the cash machine shopping centres that now ring the city council area. Or god forbid the two councils might actually be merged meaning half of them would lose their seats and more importantly their expenses. So they resort to the old tactic of bring the minister down, wine and dine him and hopefully he'll be your friend when council reform comes before cabinet. Unfortunately it's a strategy that will probably work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

Who authorised it?
    What is it costing?
    Who is paying for it?

Yerra, come on now. I have it on very good authority that Michael Noonan is forced to dress up in a gimp suit once a week and do a little dance for his Troika overlords, to the tune of "Dance, b1tch, dance". I think it is only fair that he gets to show up at LCC's offices in his Darth Vader costume to get his arse kissed by a load of toadies and brown-nosers every so often, just so that his self-esteem doesn't collapse completely. :D;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭flutered

i have to disagree with you, back in the day the regional was downgraded so as to upgrade the main hospital in cork, was there not money which was to be used to run the regional transfered to galway, the to rub their noses in the schit, the regional was fined as they were not on budget, few years ago there was an attempt made to transfer the oncology dept to galway, j.p. mc manus who funds the oncology dept. stopped that, i was to be treated in the regional then i was told they were to move it to galway so i had to be prepared to travel, he should be presented with a pipe and slippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Who is paying for it - Limerick city council I suppose would provide the teabags and use cups from the canteen

I'm slightly confused by this post...
    are Limerick City Council now doing the catering for Limerick County Council functions ????;)

Advertisement