Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Hiking Gear Dublin

Options
  • 21-06-2012 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all. I'm just starting out hiking next month in Slieve Bloom and was just wondering if anybody knows good places to shop in Dublin City. I realise some of the equipment can be a bit expensive but it's not as if i'm not climbing Mt. Everest!!

I'm just looking for a good balance that's all. I found really good stuff (fleece, light combat pants, hiking socks) in Lidl's the other day, very affordable and not cheap looking either.

Also if anybody thinks I need other equipment for this hike, your input would be very welcome.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pplsgod

Great Outdoors is an excellent spot, tell them what you are planning and they will tell you the minimum gear you need.

You have the right idea getting that stuff in Lidl already, with other things like boots, backpack, rain gear I would spend a bit more and get good quality that will last and do the job.

Map and compass obviously if you are on your own or gps is handy! Something in the form of a dry bag is good too to keep your gear dry in your rucksack in case of rain (which lets be honest is very likely).

My regular sunday walk packing / kit list:

Rucksack
    Waterproof Jacket / Trousers
    Hiking socks x 2 (spare pair in bag)
    Softshell trousers
    Non cotton baselayer
    Softshell jacket
    Wool hat (not so much in summer)
    Neck buff
    Gloves (waterproof in winter)
    Map
    Compass
    Gaiters
    Boots
    Dry bags (large, medium and small for storing spare clothes, car keys, wallet etc)
    Packed lunch
    Water
    Fleece (x 2 in winter maybe)
    Head torch
    Whistle
    First aid kit
    Survival bag

That pretty much covers it I think, not everything would be needed right away, its just what I take with me on a regular walk.

Enjoy!

Hi all. I'm just starting out hiking next month in Slieve Bloom and was just wondering if anybody knows good places to shop in Dublin City. I realise some of the equipment can be a bit expensive but it's not as if i'm not climbing Mt. Everest!!

I'm just looking for a good balance that's all. I found really good stuff (fleece, light combat pants, hiking socks) in Lidl's the other day, very affordable and not cheap looking either.

Also if anybody thinks I need other equipment for this hike, your input would be very welcome.

Cheers guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Pplsgod wrote: »
    Great Outdoors is an excellent spot, tell them what you are planning and they will tell you the minimum gear you need.

I will say the exact opposite of this. The Great Outdoors is a very expensive spot, and I wouldn't rely on them to advise you about anything other than the most expensive tat they sell. I don't think there's anywhere to buy decent kit on the cheap in Dublin, but you'll pay through the nose in the Great Outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pplsgod

Expensive tat is a bit harsh. I find their stuff to be really good quality. I have bought the cheapest of the cheap in the past only to have to replace it soon after. I can't really say I have found them any more expensive than the other outdoor stores in Dublin City but maybe that's just me!

53 degrees north in Carrickmines have really dropped their prices however in recent months, used to find them by far the most expensive whereas now seem to be the cheapest.
    Donny5 wrote: »
    I will say the exact opposite of this. The Great Outdoors is a very expensive spot, and I wouldn't rely on them to advise you about anything other than the most expensive tat they sell. I don't think there's anywhere to buy decent kit on the cheap in Dublin, but you'll pay through the nose in the Great Outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Intrepid Fox

Great outdoors are pretty good for a lot of stuff and I have generally found the staff to be knowledgable. You will pay a premium though for a lot of brands.

As Pplsgod says 53 degrees is good and their prices are competetive. You can become a 'member' in store which gives further discounts.

The shop that I rate highest in Dublin is Snow and Rock (they may not be the cheapest if you are just starting out) but mainly because they tend to cater to my specific needs. They also stock some brands of clothing that are not well known in Ireland so can often be heavily discounted. I also find that the guys selling footwear in S+R are excellent since they are climbers and hikers so do know their stuff. I recently spent an hour deciding on a new pair of boots and they just gave good solid guidance that included talking me out of an expensive pair of La Sportiva's and selling me a cheaper more suitable boot

As a rule it is worth spending money on good footwear but try loads before you buy and also consider paying for insoles such as 'super feet'. I was a bit skeptical of €40.00 insoles but they make a real difference to me.

Remember that if your feet are wrecked you are not going to enjoy your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Road Bandit

I find the Great Outdoors painful, dont go there generally, they have good stuff - its the staff that put me off. 53 are ok for hill walking clothing and stuff but not so great for climbing gear. Good boots and Jacket can be tricky to find at the right price and this is where I tend to spend the most. Second the Insoles and they are indeed worth every cent. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 real_irishken

This is great info thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

There are a lot of cheap hiking stores and ex-army goods places in Capel street and Mary street and associated side streets - you could probably pick up some bargins there. Millets also have a branch in Mary street - in terms of cost and quality they are kind of midway between the cheap hiking stores nearby and the likes of the great outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 real_irishken

Thanks I was walking up that way today and found some great bargains on camping gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

ya, it is millets if you want value for money. the others (great outdoors etc) often have good but vastly overpriced gear, and I will agree, on many occasions I have found the staff to be their biggest let-down. reading a products publicity package is not the same as being knowledgeable on their products. but this is the same for pretty much every shop. they are shop assistants. not outdoor enthusiasts. the people who know gear are out using it, not holed up in a shop 6 days a week. of course, those of us outside a lot are dirt poor. such is the trade off. lol.
    stay well clear of the army surplus shop off of caple street. their stuff is total trash, and vastly overpriced. for army surplus, online is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Portwest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Pplsgod wrote: »
    53 degrees north in Carrickmines have really dropped their prices however in recent months, used to find them by far the most expensive whereas now seem to be the cheapest.
    For some things they are now competetive. Shoes and clothes are very expensive but equipment is very reasonable now. I got a triangia 25-6 for €77 - cheapest I found elsewhere was ~90.
    dogmatix wrote: »
    Millets also have a branch in Mary street - in terms of cost and quality they are kind of midway between the cheap hiking stores nearby and the likes of the great outdoors.
    That's not the Millets chain - that chain has left Ireland completely. Millets in Mary Street is a retail branch of Gelert and that's all they stock. Not that there's anything wrong with Gelert of course - it's good budget kit.
    Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Portwest
    +1. I got a lot of my fleeces, raingear and other kit in Portwest in Suffolk street. It's good quality stuff and keenly priced.

All of these shops give a 10% discount if you're a member of a club/organisation (Mountaineering Ireland, Scouting Ireland etc) or more if you're in a company that's in the groupscheme - currently Portwest give 20% to groupscheme members.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

maybe its changed but I used to work there 6-7 years ago so I knew most of the prices of the stuff. Once on day off I went up to one of the mary street or some place to have a look at their stuff. Result? this shop had similar stuff but different brands and pretty much the same prices. Just because it is over on the north side does not automatically make it cheaper. I know that about a year after i left they apparently brought in a load of east european totty (how bad!) so again things change.

Its very hard to buy decent gear on the cheap anywhere from a bricks and mortar site. so buy your boots in agood boot place and get everything else online. if you need to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I'd disagree with that. GO are expensive on some items but not all. I got a new pair of walking boots in there earlier this year and I wasn't fobbed off with the more expensive pair, I felt the sales guy was selling me the right pair for my feet and not my wallet.

I'd get most other stuff elsewhere if the price was right. The two items of kit I wont skimp on (pricewise) are boots and day/rucksacks - buying a no-name brand rucksack from a cheap outlet or dunnes/tesco is more likely to be a false saving.

Advertisement