Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Input needed on gagage storage

Options
  • 21-06-2012 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Recently I bought a semi detached house with a garage to the side, what I intend to do is store the mustang in there in the winter, so in the summer I can use it as a workshop, however with the mustang in the garage I believe that there will be nearly no space around the car for stuff.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to do this, so what solutions have people come up with for storage? Shelves, portable tool trollies? overhead storage? Pits? Any and all input would be appreciated and pictures would be great of your set ups :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

If you're buying tiered shelving/racking you should consider the plastic ones that I think are made by keter,
    I picked up a 4-tier a year ago for €10 during some bank holiday event and now regret not using them in the past

At home I've the plastic, metal and wooden ones I made myself
    the wooden ones I have are the strongest, but you'd want a few sash clamps and experience to get it right
    plus, they might be overkill if you don't the extra depth and height that I needed

I feel more confident about the plastic ones than the metal ones I bought as they feel more stable and balanced.
    The metal ones take about an hour to put together compared to the plastic ones that take about 1 min to slot together
    Plus, It's very annoying seeing the metal shelves bend if you accidently lean or step on them

If you prefer the metal ones, keep an eye out for damaged ones in diy stores
    last one I bought was after bargaining down one of the managers in b&q as the ends were bent in (took 2 mins to fix at home with a vice grips),
    apparently they can't get credit for returning them and have to sell them off cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Beware of unprotected shelves...you'd be amazed what an aerosol falling from 8 feet can do to yer bonnet..(sorry hood).....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

Have you room for any kind of car lift?. We discovered that by getting car up in the air we were left with a lot of floor space, everything underneath on casters so can be easily moved to get car out on the 3-4 sunny days a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭mustang68

Sids Not wrote: »
    Beware of unprotected shelves...you'd be amazed what an aerosol falling from 8 feet can do to yer bonnet..(sorry hood).....:mad:

Very good point, Now I have images of angle grinders and bricks and stuff falling on the car/me, I shall take this into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭mustang68

911s wrote: »
    Have you room for any kind of car lift?. We discovered that by getting car up in the air we were left with a lot of floor space, everything underneath on casters so can be easily moved to get car out on the 3-4 sunny days a year.

it is just a single car garage, I'll be lucky if I can get out of the car, I won't have the height to get get the car out of the way either, although i'd love to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ballykine43

Small shed, sturdy and lockable garden storage boxes? In my experience garages are never big enough to hold all the essentials, even with the car sitting outside.

Advertisement