Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to make Mortice Joint in 4"x4" posts

Options
  • 21-06-2012 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi, what is best way to make Mortice Joint in 4"x4" posts.

Would a router be the best tool to use, i.e. a router has many functions ?
    Could anyone recommend a good model/brand to look at

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

selfbuild wrote: »
    Hi, what is best way to make Mortice Joint in 4"x4" posts.

Would a router be the best tool to use, i.e. a router has many functions ?
    Could anyone recommend a good model/brand to look at

Ya a router would be a good way to do it so long as your not looking to go all the way through the post or else you will need to go from both sides.

A chain morticer or a morticing machine would be the best way to go all the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

If your anywhere near me your welcome to use my mortiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

If you only have a few, a bit brace, morticing chisel and mallet.

Otherwise it is machinery.

46713367163502cf5ea1z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PMack

If money was no object then one of these Mafell chain mortisers would do the job:
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/workbenches/schwarz-workbenches/mafell-chain-mortiser-dang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Myself, I use a router in my workshop for doing these. Works a treat plus a router is a good investment in that it has many functions..Hitachi is a good make in terms of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 selfbuild

Thanks all for the replys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

selfbuild wrote: »
    Thanks all for the replys
    How did you do it in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I've gone over to the beadlock system. It uses a drill to make perfect mortices and then 'floating ' tenons glued in.Why waste 10 cms of wood making tenons when you can fit loose tenons of ash or beech.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Presumably you're then tied in to buying the pre-made tenons, or can you make them yourself somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Alun wrote: »
    Presumably you're then tied in to buying the pre-made tenons, or can you make them yourself somehow?

You can make them yourself using any wood you wish. Just buy the appropriate router cutter to match the size of the mortices.A router table is a must and use a hold down for accuracy. They come in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" sizes. Check the system out at www.rockler.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement