Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on runners

Options
  • 20-06-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

So I'm looking at getting a new pair of runners. I only have 1 pair (!!!) and they are knackered!! Runners I currently have are you bog standard pair of asics gel, multipurpose runner.

So at the minute I'm running about 3/4 times a week, averaging about 30k a week. I'd like to increase this over the summer with the aim of targeting a race (probably just a half marathon) in Sept/Oct. So I want to increase training to 4/5 times a week and increase mileage too.

One of the biggest sports shops here in toronto have a buy 1 get 1 half price, so I'm considering getting 2 pair, and would like some recommendations. Runner that are on sale are here.

So I'm basically looking for a similar pair of good, multipurpose runner. Probably asics again, I've always had them, and I like them.

But I'm also considering a 'Barefoot trainer' (Nike Free, or similar) to use from time tom time as part of my training. But I don't know much about these runners. Do asics do a similar one? Is there any reason I shouldn't get these?

So just wondering is anyone would have any recommendations/advice based on above info?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Good selection on that site.Why not go in and ask them for some advice.Get a gait analysis done if possible.
    If you can't do either id reccomend the Brooks adrenaline for training and the Saucony Kinvara as a race/performance trainer-being 4mm heel to toe drop its a nice shoe to graduate into.

hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

So I'm looking at getting a new pair of runners. I only have 1 pair (!!!) and they are knackered!! Runners I currently have are you bog standard pair of asics gel, multipurpose runner.

So at the minute I'm running about 3/4 times a week, averaging about 30k a week. I'd like to increase this over the summer with the aim of targeting a race (probably just a half marathon) in Sept/Oct. So I want to increase training to 4/5 times a week and increase mileage too.

One of the biggest sports shops here in toronto have a buy 1 get 1 half price, so I'm considering getting 2 pair, and would like some recommendations. Runner that are on sale are here.

So I'm basically looking for a similar pair of good, multipurpose runner. Probably asics again, I've always had them, and I like them.

But I'm also considering a 'Barefoot trainer' (Nike Free, or similar) to use from time tom time as part of my training. But I don't know much about these runners. Do asics do a similar one? Is there any reason I shouldn't get these?

So just wondering is anyone would have any recommendations/advice based on above info?

Thanks!!
    I havent made the change to barefoot, but a few people i know have tried them and said that you nearly need to start training from scratch again for your feet and legs to adjust and cope with it.
    None of them stuck with them for greater than 3 months. Im sure others might find them good but from what i see alot of people end up changing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

The reason most people switch away from barefoot is because they jumped in at the deep end going from a standard shoe to an almost or totally flat barefoot shoe.

To avoid issues you need to gradually make the transition by using shoes that slowly reduce the heel to toe drop until it at a level you're comfortable with.

In my case, I'm using inov-8 road-x series shoes. first up last december was the 255 which has a 9mm drop compared to my previous asics that had a 12mm drop. Today, 6 months later, I got the 233 which has a 6mm drop. I plan to use these for most training except long runs (255s for that), and races for now.

In a couple of months I think I'll go lower again for track sessions and shorter races.

What I'm trying to say is, find out what the heel to toe drop is on your current shoes(google is your friend) and to start off, try a shoe with slightly less drop and take it from there. if buying 2 pairs, the second can have less drop again but use it sparingly to start as you need to let your achilles get used to the extra stretching required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

OP: I used to buy runners online last year. You don't know what your getting. Firstly you need to get last years runners to get a good discount as the new ones are similar price (sometimes cheaper locally). Now the runners you buy could have been on a shop floor, in the lights which will reduce the life of them. Also the shelf life of older runners is not forever. Some of the bounce and glue may be weakened from the light.

I buy everything online but runners are something you want to try on first as they may not suit you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I havent made the change to barefoot, but a few people i know have tried them and said that you nearly need to start training from scratch again for your feet and legs to adjust and cope with it.
    None of them stuck with them for greater than 3 months. Im sure others might find them good but from what i see alot of people end up changing back.

Well that's why I would be getting 2 pairs. So that I wouldn't be jumping the deep end and using them all the time. I would start off using them once a week maybe, for short runs, and build from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement