Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography during games

Options
  • 20-06-2012 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

The question has probably been raised before but couldn't find a thread on it.

I'd like to take photos during games using a SLR but I don't want to get the lenses blown out when taking photos in the midst of the action.

Anyone have suggestions for protecting the lense such as lense protectors you can get or make?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Try sending a PM to Scoutthedoggie on YT. He records pretty much every game he attends so should be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I would just put a cheap UV filter on the lens. Worst case it gets cracked if struck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I've done it a few times. If you're really worried, you can just use a regular UV filter. Worst case - the filter takes a direct strike and shatters. I wouldn't take that as a cue to use cheap UV filters though, or you'll end up with a nasty haze, or even some chromatic aberration. I usually use B&W filters, but a basic Hoya would do just fine.

Honestly, though, I usually ran without them. Lens glass is remarkably strong, and unless you're unlucky enough to take a direct hit from ten feet to the edge of the glass, you'll probably be safe with any other strikes. Remember, a round fired from 50ft just about pinches on the skin...
    Stay parallel to, or above (if you can find a high point) the action, and you'll get great shots without being in direct lines of fire. Use a decent telephoto lens, to keep you out of the way, and keep your shutter speed as high as possible to freeze the action. A lens hood will give you adequate protection for most situations.
    My set-up was usually a D300s with a 70-200 2.8, and a D200 with a 35 1.8.

Two big tips:
    Shooting something like airsoft needs a ton of light to capture sharply. If the weather looks nasty, or like it could turn fast, cut your losses and bring an AEG instead of the camera. Don't be afraid to bump the ISO up to compensate for lower light to keep the shutter speed either.

Don't get in the way, and don't moan if you get shot. The players know they're not supposed to shoot you, but that doesn't give you carte blanch to saunter through the middle of a game, right through fields of fire. If someone yells at you to shift, you shift, and snappily. If you pick up stray fire, don't moan about it. If someone is shooting you on purpose, chances are they're trying to tell you to move without giving up their position by yelling, so oblige. Lastly, don't give away someone's position by following them in a high vis, or pointing your camera at them when they're trying to hide.
    Basically, if it'd annoy you in a game, don't do it to others.

Oh, and if you want to really do it right, find an old Olympus OM, Pentax ME, or Nikon FM online, load it with Velvia and kick it old school. It's actually way more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Salaas

Dex, I actually was looking at my old Minolta film last night and thinking of throwing a 50mm lense on it and doing it old school. Ha ha
    Its a old camera and not worried if it gets damaged as I'd surprised after all the journeys its gone through already.

My concern was more for the canon 50D I have.
    Cheers for the advise. I was thinking of using telephoto but like to get shots right in the action and hence don't care if I get riddled doing so but would be aware to keep out of people's way as for myself there's nothing worse than charging or sneaking and having someone get in the way. Hence why I tend to just run my Gopro on the helmet while I play and forget about it until after the game when I can watch the video in comfort and take screenshots.

Might try using the filter although afraid of it shattering and scratching the lense proper.

• Advertisement

A tele doing in or around the 200mm mark on a 50D crop will be more than enough to keep your shots in the action without actually being in the middle of it. I shoot 90% of my in-game shots on a 70-200. I pretty much keep the 35 option as a "just in case", for moments indoors, or between games.

If you spend the whole time worried about the lens getting damaged, you'll get no images worth having. I've had several cases of mistaken identity and taken full auto bursts, some as little as 15-20 feet, directly at me and the face of the lens. A filter and lens hood will give you the most protection you could possibly have, short of using a dive-housing (which would definitely protect it against everything imaginable, but is bulky, expensive - often more than an actual lens - and outright silly). If you want to be thorough, put a UV filter in a holder, place it 30ft down range and pepper it with a burst from an AEG. You should see it holds up without a scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Such a lurker Dex....

I'm only here to get your attention, Doc. I miss our days together...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

NakedDex wrote: »
    I'm only here to get your attention, Doc. I miss our days together...

forever-alone-holding-hands789.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Salaas

Ha ha, yeah there's always mistaken identity so just a case of accepting that I'll get targeted for being blasted by BBs.
    But then I'd say if I dressed up as a giant gingerbreadman I'd still be mistaken for the enemy.

I'll shoot one of the old UV filters I have at home to test it.
    cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭goblin59

could make a safety case similar to the ones available for gopro cameras.

I seen a few for DSLR's on film sets to dampen the shutter noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

Just slap a uv filter on it and you'll be grand;);) I've used it on my gear for months now and on Sunday it took a direct hit on the filter....and it didn't even mark it.

You can check out some of my shots from the last few months here.

Regards,
    Bren:)

Advertisement