Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another What's-That-Game Thread

Options
  • 20-06-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

Hey, lads, there used to be a time attack driving game that I pleyed in the arcades during the mid/late 90's. You played as a pizza boy on a moped, from what I can recall, and had to tear through the street, hit ramps, maybe do a stunt or two (not too sure there) to get the pizzas to their destination in time. Something of a Crazy Taxi idea. There was a pretty annoying song about pizzas playing in the background too, I think. It was also one of those machine where you sit on a make-shift bike, situated in front of the screen, to control it.

Another game that's been wrecking my brains lately is a sit-down racer cab that took your photo before the race. This photo would appear above your car as you raced along. It was a 2player job too. It had a real cartoony vibe to it. I remember there seemed to be a severe speed boost for whoever was in second place, so that they could catch up easily. There may also have been a few lines of commentary playing over the race.

Both games where somewhere in the mid or late 90's and the would have been in that era's style of 3D. Any ideas what these titles were?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

sounds like Radikal Bikers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Was it called Boulder Dash?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Sparks43 wrote: »

http://www.psychologicalsociety.ie/

;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Loved Radikal Bikers (which is 100% the game OP was talking about), I always like to think its what happened to the kid from Paperboy when he grew up...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sparks43 wrote: »

No, but the game you were thinking of was, it always is.... 100% of the time....

Deary
    Deary
    Me.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Yip, that's certainly the game in question. I remember it being great fun, and that video brought back quite a few memories. Cheers, lads :)

Any idea what the second game I mentioned is?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Wow! That looks a lot more fun than Crazy Taxi imo!

Must grab it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I remember they had one of those cabs in Star Amusements Bray back in the day. In the upstairs section. Never gave it a go though.

I think it was around the same time they had two player Tokyo Wars - I was too busy playing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

o1s1n wrote: »
    I remember they had one of those cabs in Star Amusements Bray back in the day. In the upstairs section. Never gave it a go though.

I think it was around the same time they had two player Tokyo Wars - I was too busy playing that!

I can't say how chuffed I am they're porting its sequel to Wii-U. I still pump heavy coinage into the Tank!Tank!Tank! setup in Star Leisure.

Master of the Universe

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I can't say how chuffed I am they're porting its sequel to Wii-U. I still pump heavy coinage into the Tank!Tank!Tank! setup in Star Leisure.

I didn't know Tank!Tank!Tank! was an arcade game? (Or that it was the successor to Tokyo Wars either!)

Just looking at some cabs on youtube. Looks like a lot of fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

I didn't even know about Tokyo Wars!

Nice one for the introduction, it really looks like a unique arcade game,

the only thing that vaguely resembles it is Beach Head, but at least you can drive around in Tokyo Wars.

Master of the Universe

It really was a lot of fun playing it multiplayer. Would be amazing to have a cab! I wonder would it be possible to use in a standard driving cab? You'd probably need to somehow attach the Tokyo Wars wheel as I think the fire buttons were on it.

Runs on the same arcade hardware as Time Crisis so has a similar look to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I was also thinking it looked quite Time Crisis-ish. The graphics still hold up excellently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

o1s1n wrote: »

played that a bit with the broski, but was always more interested in this in Dawsons

Advertisement