Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to get rid of Sawdust

Options
  • 20-06-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,as the title says I need to get rid of some sawdust,its all off a planer thicknesser and in a fully enclosed trailer,a lad near me that has horses used to take it but he stopped because it was making the horses cough,tried a few pet shops but they need it vacuum packed and sterilised,was thinking about asking a few local farmers but its probably the wrong time of the year for asking them

So guys who else would need sawdust?

Mods feel free to move this if I have posted in the wrong Forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Burn it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Keep it for winter? If When the Ice comes back it will give a bit of grip to your driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Try people who have chickens. Or buy a pot belly stove or make one to burn the shavings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

woodturner wrote: »
    Try people who have chickens. Or buy a pot belly stove or make one to burn the shavings.

Cheers for all your suggestions guys
    I have a homemade stove alright that I used to burn some of it but it takes a while to burn,never thought of the Poultry farmers,sound for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) Sawdust is hard to burn. If you dump it into a stove it will put it the fire out.
    I have a sawdust burning stove marketed by 'hotspot' in the UK.
    It really just has a tube extending to the middle of the sawdust and allows it to burn. I'd imagine any welder could make one.
    Failing that , if you mix it with grass clippings it makes compost but takes about a year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi

I was think about this before - in using one of those paper brick making units and some type of eco-friendly glue/agent to bind the shavings together.

not sure if it would work though - I know wood pellets are compressed together but do they have some binding agent in them ?

K

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I have a barrel for burning like suggested above,its along the lines of the clip below,I dont have a smaller barrel inside the big barrel though,I was talking to a local poultry farmer he said he would take some off me so happy days

I can use the rest to make fry ups :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Hey guys,as the title says I need to get rid of some sawdust,its all off a planer thicknesser and in a fully enclosed trailer,a lad near me that has horses used to take it but he stopped because it was making the horses cough,tried a few pet shops but they need it vacuum packed and sterilised,was thinking about asking a few local farmers but its probably the wrong time of the year for asking them

So guys who else would need sawdust?

Mods feel free to move this if I have posted in the wrong Forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73751323

Advertisement