Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Stargate SG-1 really worth watching?

• 20-06-2012 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I may get my ears chewed off for the mere suggestion that it may not be up to scratch. I've never watched a single episode before. I had seen the film, ok I didn't love it or anything but i'd say it was watchable certainly.

I recently picked up the first season and watched the pilot alongside episode 2 and 3 I think, I can't remember. My father an I just traded smirks when anything cringe worthy came on the screen. The acting from some of the lesser known characters was so wooden I felt sorry for them (That Kowalski guy from the pilot had one emotion, confused!). The action was out dated but that's understandable. The female lead, I don't know her name was so bad, I hope she gets better.

One positive, was the Macgyver guy. I felt he really livened up the show, had good chemistry with most of the other actors and somebody who you could really root for when things are looking bad.

I'm sorry in advance SG-1 fans. Should I continue watching or watch Person Of Interest (something else that has taken my fancy) or just fe*k **f!

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Stick with it, the first season, like the first season of any long running sci-fi show, is very shakey. It does find its feet though, & by the time you hit season 3 upwards, SG-1 is one of the finest sci-fi shows ever made.

I'm a long standing fan of Star Trek, & only watched SG-1 for the first time just over a year ago...it blew away my expectations, & for me, outshined Star Trek without a doubt.

Stick with it, & you can thank me later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

+1 to the above.

It also gets way less cringe worthy (except for the odd time when they do it on purpose for the laugh), and the acting is generally pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

End of season 1 is good, still a bit shaky during season 2 but it is better and just improves from there.

Female lead: Amanda Tapping, she gets much better and very likable but season 1 was a bit over the top for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

which version of the pilot did you watch, uncut, before watershed or theatrical, BTW uncut is the only one to watch:D

the show ran for about 15 years and spawned 2 spin-off so it gets better, just stick with it, when you hit season 8 you can start watching Atlantis, SG-1 and Atlantis ran together for 3 seasons,

so you can watch all 17 season of Stargate (10 of SG-1, 5 of Atlantis and 2 of Universe) over the next year, and then youll have 2 seasons of person of interest to watch;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 real_irishken

Thanks. I'm not sure, I took it of that good tv site everybody knows about so I imagine it was the TV pilot.

I will get back to it soon, i've no doubts that it's a great show as it's always in top TV lists. Actually i might give a season review of it, episode by episode. Yes I'm on holidays and like posting nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Thanks. I'm not sure, I took it of that good tv site everybody knows about so I imagine it was the TV pilot.

I will get back to it soon, i've no doubts that it's a great show as it's always in top TV lists. Actually i might give a season review of it, episode by episode. Yes I'm on holidays and like posting nonsense.
    well does Daniels wife get naked, if she does its the uncut one (best one)

does carter talk about he reproduction equipment being on the inside and being able to handle anything a man can, if that conversation didnt happen its the theatrical cut, which is a POS:)

No I think I would have remember that. No wonder the original actress from the movie wasn't in it.

There are three versions:
    Original: Uncut shown on tv.
    Original Cut: Redone for an under 18 rating.
    Redo: All I know is more is cut but original cut stuff is added, again made for under 18 rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,022 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If by the end of season 2 you aren't hooked, then I will be bewildered. Season 1 is like all first seasons kind of the prototype "will me make it wont we?" But after the show got its renewal green lit, season 2 was filled with a lot of the stories which ultimately serve as the backstory for the rest of the shows run.

Write back in after you watch "The Fifth Race"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So so so jealous of the OP only watching for the first time :(

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Write back in after you watch "The Fifth Race"

If your liking the series by then that episode will have you in stitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

For me episode 3 of SG1 was the single worst episode out of all the stargate franchises combined, no wonder you're having second thoughts about it. Try and stick it out another while though because it gets waaaayyyy better from here on in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

For me episode 3 of SG1 was the single worst episode out of all the stargate franchises combined, no wonder you're having second thoughts about it. Try and stick it out another while though because it gets waaaayyyy better from here on in.

True story.

But +1, keep at it and it will pay off.
    Seasons 3 + 4 are easily some of the best sci fi ever made. EVER.

Great, really looking forward to watching it more now. The fifth gate is season two yes?

p.s. I did watch all of Person of Interest after all ha! Another great new show. Must see TV!

Great, really looking forward to watching it more now. The fifth gate is season two yes?

p.s. I did watch all of Person of Interest after all ha! Another great new show. Must see TV!

Fifth Race is in the second half of season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Tefral

Anything with Asgard in is unreal.

i liked the movie, then i watched the pilot on sky way back when. i thought ok.. they have some continuity here, first few episodes really are low budget stuff, but really give it a chance, it builds and builds every season, and you really notice the more money they put into the Episodes as it goes on.

For me the best villan was Anubis. He was far more clever and cunning, plus the ancients are the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

I'm currently rewatching all from the beginning on Sky, surprised how much I have forgotten, which is great.

Only two series I've ever watched more than once, this and House.

Advertisement