Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eligibilty for getting jsb instead of jba

Options
  • 20-06-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

I am currently a 34 year old student who has finished first year and have been transferred back to jsa from BTEA.

Here is my history (in point form as I tend to go off on one):

Worked for 11 years until 2007 class A1 contributions which qualified me for JSB

JSB from Dept 08-Oct 09 (also worked 8 week contract with A1 contributions summer 09)

JSA from Nov 09 - 31 Jan 10

Worked from 1 feb 10- 30 july 10 (25 weeks A1 contributions)

JSA 1 Aug 10 - 1 Sept 11

Sept 2011 onwards, back to education allowance

To sum up, I have 8 contributions in 2009 and 25 in 2010.

They automatically switched me back to JSA a few weeks ago, and I have moved in with my partner as of 1 June, thus my payments have been reduced, that was expected.

However, I have put a JSB claim in. They sent a request in the post last week for details of contributions and pay amounts since February 09 so last Friday I sent back copy of P45 (25 week job) and final payslip from that 8 week contract all showing details of A1 contributions.

Am I entitled to get back on JSB? Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

You should qualify for JSB based on the info provided.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• At least 104 weeks PRSI paid since you first started work
    And
    • Have 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year (a minimum of 13 weeks must be paid contributions*)
    Or
    • Have 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year.
    *If you do not have 13 paid contributions in the relevant tax year, you must have paid 13 contributions in any of the following years:
    • The 2 tax years before the relevant tax year
    • The last complete tax year
    • The current tax year.
    The Relevant Tax Year is the second last complete tax year before the year in which your claim is made. So, for claims made in 2012, the Relevant Tax Year is 2010.

From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

Many thanks you two.

JSB cannot be reduced due to my girlfriend's redundancy payment and illness benefit can it?

My JSA was reduced by 38 euros today from last few weeks so hopefully the JSB can be processed asap

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

Her circumstances will not be taken into account unless she is on JSA herself. Then there would be a max pay of €312.80 per week between you.

Thanks Sue Ellen, best news I've heard all day. Now all I can do is wait for their correspondance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

As you had used up your entitlement to JSB previously, you need to have paid 13 'A' class contributions since your 156th day of unemployment on JSB.
    As the letter you received wanted these details from Feb 2009, I am presuming this is when your 156th day is.
    As you have paid 13 A class contributions since this date, and you satisfy the rules posted by mp22 earlier in this thread, you would qualify for JSB.
    You will be paid any arrears (difference in the 2 rates) once the JSB is awarded.

Thanks Cee Jay.

I got a phone call from them this morning. As it happens, I requalified in January 2011 and should have been switched back at that time, and will receive a back payment from then until September 2011 and from May 2012 till now.

Seeing as this is taxable, do you get a tax credit for JSB?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

JSB is taxable (the first €13 a week is exempt), but if your only income for 2011 was JSB, then you probably wouldn't have a tax liability for that year. Back to Education is not taxable.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/claiming_a_social_welfare_payment/taxation_of_social_welfare_payments.html
    But you may be best to run that query by the Revenue, or try asking on the Taxation forum.

Thanks again for replying. I also have rental income to include in my return for the whole of 2011.

Advertisement