Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Octavia brake problems

Options
  • 20-06-2012 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I have a 2001 Skoda Octavia 1.4 petrol that has been sitting at the back of my house for the past year. It has 180,000miles on the clock but is in very good repair, having had a lot of work done to it. It has a new radiator, windscreen, egr valve, bushings, exhaust, timing belt and lots of other bits and pieces.

The last time I used the car the brakes went very spongy and stopped working (over a year ago) so I moved my insurance onto another car I had and left the skoda sit as I didnt have the time nor money to spend on it.

I'd like to do something with the car, either get it back on the road for a younger brother, or leave it in a position where I can sell it to someone (I know it's worth less than peanuts!)

When I started the car, the brake fluid warning light came on and so I topped up the brake fluid level and they worked for a while. Next morning there was a puddle of oil at the right rear wheel, and the brake fluid warning was back on.

The rear wheel drums are very badly rusted, so I'm sure that they would need to be replaced (€110 a side from micksgarage) and the brake shoes (€33 a pair from same website). I think the leak is coming from the little piston thingy the makes the brake shoes work.

My questions are -
    Can someone with reasonable mechanical experience repair this himself?
    Would I be just throwing good money after bad?

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

sounds like the rear piston is damaged. you might be ok with the drums. they could be rusty outside but ok inside. a wire brush and some sandpaper could solve the rust issues unless they are very bad. might be worth replacing the shoes still.

you could even get the piston and drums from a breakers yard to keep costs down. also your local motorfactors will have the shoes cheaper than micksgarage when you take into account postage.

Advertisement