Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanting to leave jobbridge early advice.

Options
  • 20-06-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I just need some advice here without any sort of judgement.

I have been on jobbridge for about 7 months now and to be honest I'm on my breaking point. I'm so so unhappy here.

Simply put i want to leave my internship early. How does one go about leaving an internship early and going back on the dole? Is this a big deal? WHat should I say to the social welfare office?

This is just something I'm thinking about.

Please help. Thanks for the help in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

You can leave an internship with 1 weeks notice. You should not have any issue signing back on. You can explain your reason for leaving and as long as you available and looking for full time work you should go straight back on to Jobseekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

That's a relief. I'd have assumed it would be a bigger deal. It's just something to think about for myself anyway thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Mcjmetroid wrote: »
    I just need some advice here without any sort of judgement.

I have been on jobbridge for about 7 months now and to be honest I'm on my breaking point. I'm so so unhappy here.

Simply put i want to leave my internship early. How does one go about leaving an internship early and going back on the dole? Is this a big deal? WHat should I say to the social welfare office?

This is just something I'm thinking about.

Please help. Thanks for the help in advance :)

How long is left? These are 9 month internships, no? If so, then hang on in there for the remainder I would say.

As bad as it sounds. I seriously don't want to do this for the summer. I want either time or money for the summer and I'm not getting either. I't hard enough getting holidays from this company and I feel like im not learning much anymore. I'm at a bad crossroads to be honest.:)

I've heard you cannot get the dole for 3 months if you are fired or leave a job? is this so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 lolita60

You are not in a job, you are in a voluntary placement. You are still meant to be actively seeking employment while on Jobsbridge, hence you sign your docket every month.

There is nothing to worry about regarding signing back on, just hand in your one week notice, call your social welfare office, tell them you want to collect cancel the Jobsbridge additional payment from the day you finish and your money will be in the post office the following collection day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I've a job which most of the money I earn from is spent getting me there and home. I could just as easily quit and sign onto the dole, have all the free time I want, earn more money and then spend it on a holiday. I won't be doing that however. You have an internship and are getting experience. Grow up and stick with it, you don't need a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

If you leave a job or are fired due to your own actions you can be disallowed for up to 9 weeks. Your circumstances will be take into to account.

This does not apply on Job Bridge. If you feel you are not learning from the internship you are entitled to leave. You also accrue holidays at a rate of 1.75 days per month and you have to be allowed to take them. The standard holidays and break entitlements are to be afforded to you the same as if you were an employee. If you feel this is not be adhered to contact Job Bridge directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cricketfan

Have you ever thought of approaching your local TD. I really think they need to be aware of the problems people are facing on this ridiculous and unfair scheme although you don't say what exactly is the problem with the placement. Have you learnt anything there, have they trained you, what did they promise you at the start of the internship? Did you think you would be offered a paid position?

cricketfan wrote: »
    Have you ever thought of approaching your local TD. I really think they need to be aware of the problems people are facing on this ridiculous and unfair scheme although you don't say what exactly is the problem with the placement. Have you learnt anything there, have they trained you, what did they promise you at the start of the internship? Did you think you would be offered a paid position?

I'm not going to say i haven't learned anything from the position.
    But to learn I had to do a lot of it in my free time. That kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? It's IT related stuff by the way. it's a 9-5 job, when i get home I'm WRECKED tired, I don't want to add more hours to my day.

Even when we discussed full-time position I was forced to go to a training course in Shannon for a few weeks in May(he paid for the travel) which took up 2 of my evenings and still " we'll discuss it when you're finished your course". it was a FAS course and they couldn't believe i wanted to do a FAS course AND an internship. He's simply going to keep going with this until I'm finished at the end of August.

My internship was a month starting late too so i technically already started 9 months and was working there illegally for a month( I was desperate at this point I must add). I went for a regular job interview which was converted into a jobbridge which I believe was ALSO illegal. All I got for a christmas bonus was a pitiful 30 christmas voucher. Now I KNOW they are not supposed to offer you any cash but throw me a freakin bone here like.. We've been talking about full-time position for 2 months now where I pretty much begged him because I didn't want to be poor for the summer.

The boss is very manipulative. Uses a lot of emotional blackmail. I had to cut my holidays because he was "under pressure". But.... I'm just an intern. A guy that arrived on a similar scheme a month after me got his full-time position a few months ago and it's killing me inside. He is more experienced in a different area but i can't help but feel ripped off.

I enjoy the work but the management is so bad I don't think I want to be a part of it anymore. I'm very depressed here wondering when I'm going to get paid like a real person. I'm done 4 years of college and i know i'm not alone in this but i feel I deserve a bit of happiness anyway. They can keep their extra 50 euros a week...

I'm not a lazy person I swear. What would you do when you'll be fighting for every scrap and holiday time when you're fully employed. Makes me long for working in a large company with SET OUT rules again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

It is very natural to find it very hard to accept easily that you may walk away from the Jobbridge internship without a job. But there was never a guarantee of a job, just the chance, if you got a good internship, to get experience, learn new skills and have something to add to your CV. However, if you decide to leave, you can (see below and previous posts.) And, by the way, just as a point of information, those on JobBridge internships are not expected to be looking for work during the course of the internships, though, of course it is fantastic if one comes their way and, also, they do not have to sign on at the Social Welfare Office during the course of the internship.

What if the Internship is not working out as I expected?

Workplace issues should be resolved with the host organisation.
    If the internship is not working out as expected you should discuss this with the
    person that is supervising/mentoring your internship. If this does not resolve the issue
    you can contact us by sending an email to jobbridge@fas.ie providing the following:
    Your name, contact details, the host organisation name, internship title and brief
    outline of the issue.
    An internship can finish early with one weeks notice on either side. In this event, the
    Host Organisation must log on and notify JobBridge immediately of the new
    completion date. The intern must notify DSP immediately.
    http://www.jobbridge.ie/toolkit/faqintern.pdf

It is a difficult decision to make. I'm just tired of being promised a job and people hired in front of me.

It's put me off entirely working for the company to be honest. I'm worried sick either way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

could you be kind enough to PM me the name of company in question please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

I suggest you look for a real job before you leave. You're never in a better position to find employment than when you're currently in employment!
    Also, why not sneak out a bit early and throw a few sickies? (not great advice if you want a good reference, but no more harmful to your cv than walking out of an internship with nothing else lined up).
    You're not getting paid after all and the fas scheme only requires you to work 30hours a week to keep your benefits.

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    could you be kind enough to PM me the name of company in question please

I don't think so. I don't really want to rock the boat to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Have you asked why other people are being hired over you?

Have you been job hunting? If not start now. Don't leave if you don't have job lined up. After all you will need the reference.

Advertisement