Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social: Dark Knight Rises

Options
  • 20-06-2012 10:21am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Dark Knight Rises is being released on the 20th of July and I'm sure there are a few folk on here who are interested in going to see it, so I thought we could make a group outing of it.

There's a very nice sort-of-IMAX cinema in the Swiss Cottage Odeon now (it's not full-on BFI-size IMAX but it's a much bigger and brighter screen than your average multiplex) so I'm going to vote for there as a venue. (Details here).

Screening times on the Friday are 19:45 & 23:30, while on the Saturday and Sunday the choices are 12:15, 16:00, 19:45 and 23:30 (Sat only). Tickets work out at around £17.50 each including booking fee etc. I'll stick a poll up for dates & times - who's in?

What days & times do you prefer for going to see DKR? 14 votes

Fri: 19:45
    0%
    Fri: 23:30
    7%
    PH4T 1 vote
    Sat: 12:15
    0%
    Sat: 16:00
    0%
    Sat: 19:45
    28%
    FyshOtaconphilologosAnnaVanilla 4 votes
    Sat: 23:30
    28%
    FyshOtaconphilologosAnnaVanilla 4 votes
    Sun: 12:15
    14%
    Otaconphilologos 2 votes
    Sun: 16:00
    0%
    Sun: 19:45
    14%
    FyshAnnaVanilla 2 votes
    Other (post in thread)
    7%
    Fysh 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

I'd like to see it, but I'm not free on the opening weekend unfortunately.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I'll probably go to see it eventually but can't make it that weekend as I'll be sipping a very large cocktail by the pool in Turkey ;)

£17.50 - seriously, the cinema prices here are shocking :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Other (post in thread)
    Hmm, may turn out not to be the best film for a group outing after all so :o
    £17.50 - seriously, the cinema prices here are shocking :eek:

I know what you mean - the pricier seats in the Odeon IMAX are very comfortable and the screen's great, but you wouldn't want to be paying that regularly. I find the £12 that the Vue seem to think is a reasonable standard price to be a rip-off for the most part too.

Prince Charles and Tricycle Cinema are the way to go for cheap cinema tickets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I would be up for this. AFAIK I am not working that weekend. A bit further away than I was planning on travelling but I could definitely make it anytime on Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'd be interested in going but I'll be watching it in the BFI IMAX the following week.

£21.50 per ticket!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

Just saw this thread now, anyone still going? :)

Sat or Sunday both good for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Anyone interested in going to this in a normal cinema on Tuesday 24th or Wednesday 25th?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Other (post in thread)
    Just saw this thread now, anyone still going? :)

Sat or Sunday both good for me!

Myself and Jack B Badd are most likely heading along on the Sunday afternoon, but I'm not sure if anyone else is coming along - seems to be a bit of a wash :|
    serrity wrote: »
    Anyone interested in going to this in a normal cinema on Tuesday 24th or Wednesday 25th?

Oh :P to you and your "normal" cinema.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sunday afternoon would work for me too; I'd be game for that.

Other (post in thread)
    I was looking at this earlier in the week and the IMAX seats (well, the ones that aren't way off to the side or right at the front) are pretty much wall-to-wall booked at the Swiss Cottage Odeon for the entire available booking period thus far, so I'm going to suggest we call this one a wash :(

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm gonna watch it in any format this weekend to be honest. No way I'll be able to hold off.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

EmilieC and I decided we couldn't wait for Sunday so we are going to see it Saturday evening in Vue in Islington :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭fluke

Just out of curiosity...did anyone go to see this in IMAX at Swiss Cottage. I couldn’t make it on Sunday but thinking of going there next weekend. I don’t want to know about the film itself but is the IMAX screen good?

Other (post in thread)
    fluke wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity...did anyone go to see this in IMAX at Swiss Cottage. I couldn’t make it on Sunday but thinking of going there next weekend. I don’t want to know about the film itself but is the IMAX screen good?

I've been there to see Prometheus, and it's important to know going in that it's an IMAX Multiplex Screen rather than IMAX Classic or whatever the original screens are called. This is not a BFI-type amazingly-tall full IMAX screen. It's a substantially larger than normal multiplex screen, configured to use two digital projectors instead of one.

It's more expensive than a normal cinema but cheaper (and less ludicrously busy) than the BFI IMAX.

There are some interesting comparisons of screen sizes here, though of course it's important to note that even films which feature full-IMAX sequences do so sparingly (eg The Dark Knight used it in maybe half a dozen scenes).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Fysh wrote: »
    There are some interesting comparisons of screen sizes here, though of course it's important to note that even films which feature full-IMAX sequences do so sparingly (eg The Dark Knight used it in maybe half a dozen scenes).
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by full IMAX sequences? I thought IMAX just meant it was shown on a super big screen, and I know that the film isn't in 3D

Other (post in thread)
    Scarinae wrote: »
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by full IMAX sequences? I thought IMAX just meant it was shown on a super big screen, and I know that the film isn't in 3D

Full IMAX is at a different aspect ratio to what we normally see in cinemas - it's shot using different cameras and film stock, and the flagship IMAX screens are notable at least as much for the additional vertical space as for their expanded width. Since feature films have thus far only used IMAX for certain sequences, you see a transition between "normal" film and the full-IMAX sequences where the full screen is used.

The reason I mention it is that the Multiplex IMAX implementations are a good bit bigger than normal screens, but aren't as big as Classic IMAX (because of the building size restrictions). So while TDKR should look pretty damn good at the Swiss Cottage Multiplex IMAX it won't be quite as good as it would look at the BFI IMAX (which is a Classic IMAX).

See here for an easy visual comparison of the difference in screen sizes you might expect.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

The IMAX in Swiss Cottage is cool. That screen is ginormous and the sound is like being at a gig (without distortion). We were in the second row from the front which usually means a crick in your neck after 2 hours, but it was no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Scarinae wrote: »

IMAX uses 70mm film. A regular cinema projector uses 35mm. Also, IMAX stock is turned lenght-ways so it fits more on it. See below:

35vimax.jpg

The top one is regular film and the bottom is IMAX. Notice how the frame is rotated also to increase its size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭fluke

Wow! Thanks for all he responses guys. I'll check out the Odeon at Swiss Cottage so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

fluke wrote: »
    Wow! Thanks for all he responses guys. I'll check out the Odeon at Swiss Cottage so!

I'd second the place; went there once when we lived back west (!) and it was class.
    Saw The Dark Knight in the Vue last night..went for the Xtreme Xtra or some crap..not worth the money for the experience at all, yeah the screen was big but the quality both visually and audio wise was not good. Expected a lot more :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I got to see it in the BFI IMAX last week and I would thoroughly recommend people try watch it there although it's nigh on impossible to get decent tickets for a pre-midnight screening over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I went to night at the FBI and now know what it feels like t o be in a earthquake as the building sakes with the bass.... Just awesome

Advertisement